Chapter 19: Repercussions

"I wish you would tell me what's wrong."

Jessica turned away from her bedroom window to look at her best friend. The best friend who had married her brother. Angel sat demurely in a chair, watching her with a worry line between her eyebrows. Six weeks had passed since her night with Jacob, and she'd been back home for a fortnight. Olivia had been invited to travel with a friend visiting family in the Lake District, so there had been no reason for her to remain at Holcombe Hall.

"You've not been yourself since you returned," Angel continued when she said nothing. "I'm worried about you."

"I'm sorry. I don't know what to tell you." Or how to tell you. Unable to meet her friend's eyes, she looked back out the window, leaning her forehead on the cool glass. Sitting curled up on her window seat was where she usually found herself when she needed to think. And she desperately needed to think. Needed a way out of this situation she'd put herself in.

"Well, you could start by explaining what happened at Holcombe."

Her friend's insistence made her laugh, and feeling a little better for it, she finally turned around completely, facing her friend. "For someone claiming to be shy, you certainly have a will of iron when you want to find something out."

Angel shrugged, but returned the smile. "I've learned it's the only way to deal with you Howertys."

"You're a Howerty too now," Jessica pointed out.

"So maybe your obstinacy is rubbing off."

Smiling at her friend, she wanted to tell her everything. But she wasn't sure where to start. How did you admit to being ruined by your brother's best friend? No one even knew about her old infatuation with him. It was a weakness she'd kept to herself. Someone else's perspective might be helpful, though. And it would feel good to share her turbulent thoughts.

"Jessica," Angel pleaded. "I wish you would confide in me." She reached out and put her hand on her knee. "I know something is troubling you. Perhaps I can help."

She laughed, but stopped quickly, surprised by the bitter tone. "I fear this situation isn't something easily solved."

"Tell me."

"Very well." She sighed. She needed to get things off her chest, share her secrets with someone. "But you must promise not to tell my brother."

"I can't tell Nathaniel?" Angel frowned, and she knew she was asking a lot of her. It was one reason she hadn't confided in her friend sooner. The possibility that she would tell her brother was too high since the couple usually shared everything.

"You must promise not to tell him," she insisted.

Angel gave her a worried look, her light green eyes searching hers. "Jessica, what have you got yourself into?"

"I ask myself that same question. Now, promise me."

"Very well," her friend said, looking somewhat uneasy. "I promise I won't tell Nathaniel whatever you are about to say."

"Nor anyone else."

"Nor anyone else. Now, please tell me what is going on!"

Looking down at her hands in her lap, she barely knew where to start. She fidgeted a little in her seat. Finally, she took a deep breath and met the other woman's eyes. "Something happened when I was at Holcombe."

"I've figured that much already," Angel replied dryly.

Jessica scowled. "Do you want to hear this or not?"

"Sorry! Go on."

"Well, it... It involves a man." She watched her friend's face to see her reaction. Angel was waiting, somewhat impatiently, for her to elaborate. "To cut to the chase. I'm quite... Ruined."