11 | Filthy Realism

V E R A

━━━━━━━━━━

Dress shopping with Cordelia had to be one of the most exciting yet excruciating experiences ever.

Tonight being the exhibit opening, I had yet to find something to wear and only five more hours to do so. This situation could've easily been avoided if I didn't only bring one suitcase to Paris for nine months. Consequences of doing things on a whim.

Having already been to four boutiques, Cordelia was bent on finding me something perfect to wear, even if that meant going to four more. Walking into our fifth shop today, she walked over to a lady standing behind the main counter and started talking to her. After a few nods were exchanged, the lady left the granite desk and disappeared behind a wall.

"Sit and let me find you something." She ordered for what seemed like the thousandth time today.

As I sat in one of the cushioned chairs, I started to look around the large store, suddenly having second thoughts. The entire place was filled with a bunch of over-the-top clothing and accessories, making me feel as if everything was way out of my budget.

Against Cordelia's orders, I stood up and walked towards one of the racks that displayed a few floor-length dresses. Curious, I turned over one of the tags, leaving me wide-eyed.

1500 EUR—which meant that this was almost a two-thousand dollar dress.

"Holy shit." I swore to myself, quickly turning the tag back over.

Before I could sit back down, Cordelia and the lady came out from behind the wall, the lady holding up a few dresses before being told to hang them up for me.

"I thought I told you to sit." Cordelia exclaimed, giving me a disapproving look.

"This is too much, I can't afford any of this. Can't we find some place cheaper?" I asked, becoming more restless by the minute.

"I'd say this one's on me but it's not, it's on the museum's card. Don't worry about it." She said, pulling me towards the dressing room and pushing me behind velvet curtains.

Despite still being a bit hesitant as I didn't want to spend anyone's money, regardless of it being the museum's, I allowed Cordelia to do as she pleased as I wasn't keen on having to visit any more stores today.

"I'll be out here, come out and show me after you try each one on." She yelled from behind the divider.

Taking a deep breath, I started to look through the dresses that were on the hook. Instead of picking up the first dress, I kept skimming through to see which one I'd like the most, that way there was a chance I could get this over with quicker.

At this point, I was fully willing to show up to the museum in nothing. I'm sure Damien would've loved that.

Reaching the last dress, I unhooked it from the hanger and held it up in front of me. It was a short slip-like dress, the color being a wine red. The neckline was a low v-neck and the back had fallen quite low with thin straps to hold the material up. Unlike the other ones, this one was simple. It was also the only one that I thought matched me the most. I just wasn't sure how it'd look on me.

Taking off my clothes, I unzipped the back of the dress and slipped into it.

Looking at myself in the mirror, I smiled as it fit me like a glove. After already trying on how many dresses, I was ready to be let down by this one but instead, was completely satisfied. Pulling the curtains open, I faced Cordelia.