#7

Essence

The music blared loudly, and while I gradually adjusted to it as the night wore on, the proximity of a massive speaker next to me made me want to rip my ears off. Seeking relief, I moved away from the table and headed to the counter. Taking a seat on one of the stools, I sighed with relief as the pounding in my head eased.

"What are you doing?" a shrill voice screeched, and I turned to see a red-haired girl standing with her arms crossed, annoyance etched on her face. "You're supposed to be working," she screeched again, her tone grating on my nerves. Who was she to dictate to me?

"No one's at the snack bar, and it's just a bit loud—" I began, but she cut me off, her voice dripping with disdain. "Does it look like I care? You don't get special treatment," she snapped, her hostility palpable.

"Hello? I'm talking to you, little skank. Get up and do your job. Killian will be pissed," she continued, her insults stinging like barbs. Anger boiled within me, and before I could think, I raised my hand and delivered a resounding slap to her cheek, wiping off half her makeup in the process. A gasp escaped her lips, and she instinctively raised her hand to retaliate.

But before she could strike, a large hand intervened. "Is there a problem here?" a calm voice interjected, and I turned to see Killian standing beside me, his presence commanding attention. Clutching the redhead's hand, he lowered it gently, his demeanor radiating authority.

"Oh, Killian, you're here. This employee just slapped me for trying to tell her to do her job," the redhead exclaimed, her attempt at crocodile tears failing to elicit sympathy. She seemed more like she needed to relieve herself than anything else.

"It's boss to you," Killian corrected her sharply before turning his attention to me. "I don't like trouble, Bambina, especially in my club," he said, his gaze piercing mine. A shiver ran down my spine at the thought of him being any closer.

"There wasn't any trouble," I responded, forcing a smile despite the guilt gnawing at me. "Essence—my place, my rules," he reminded me, his voice dropping to a menacing tone. "Keep your attitude under control," he warned, his eyes narrowing.

Turning back to the redhead, now named Juli, Killian addressed her sternly. "Juli, next time, do not take matters into your own hands. You are on the same level as Essence; you both work for me. Under no circumstances are you to tell her what to do. Do you understand?" he demanded, his tone brooking no argument.

Juli's eyes fell to her shoes, her hand still on her reddened cheek. "Yes," she mumbled softly.

"I said, do you understand?" Killian reiterated, his voice firm.

Juli's eyes widened, and she nodded vigorously. "Yes, boss. I understand," she replied, her voice trembling.

With the matter seemingly resolved, Killian turned back to me, his gaze unwavering. "If you want to see another day, you'll keep yourself in check," he warned before turning and walking away. A flicker of something passed through his eyes, but before I could decipher it, it vanished.

As I watched him go, a sense of guilt washed over me. Had I overreacted? I couldn't shake the feeling that I had. But then again, I refused to be pushed around anymore.

Leaving the club behind, I stepped into the alleyway, the cool air offering a moment of respite. Taking a deep breath, I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to shake off the events of the evening.

Before I could gather my thoughts, a blonde girl stumbled towards me, her laughter ringing out in the quiet night. Concerned, I reached out to steady her, only to realize that she was drunk.

Was she all alone?

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, reaching out to touch her arm. She looked at me with wide eyes before bursting into laughter. "Per-perfectly okay. I mean, my best friend and boyfriend are hooking up, but I'm swell," she managed to say between giggles.