• 165 •

Author's Note: Happy Chinese New Year! I will be busy for the next few days because I will be house visiting. There will be a lack of response from me.

It is more spread out due to COVID-19, my country here only allows up to a gathering of 8 people. 

It was in the wee hours of the night. 

Almost three days have passed. 

The wooden doors to the room where Shin and Cecil were sleeping in slowly slid. The person opened the door in the quietest way possible, clearly not wanting to wake the two of them.

The man stepped in, his ash blonde-hair highlighted by the moonlight streaming in from the opened wooden windows. His grey eyes which were usually indifferent gradually softened as he approached the raven-haired woman, sleeping right beside the midnight black-haired young boy that bore a resemblance to him. 

Cecil was breathing softly as she laid her head on the bed, her hand still interlocked with Shin.

Xue noticed it, frowning slightly but he did not make a move to separate them, despite his dissatisfaction. 

He did not want to wake Cecil up in any way. 

Xue sighed, a small smile curving his lips. “At least cover yourself up.”

He removed the outer layer of his kimono, draping it over Cecil’s shoulders gently. Just then, he sensed someone gazing intently at him, and he lifted his head, meeting Shin’s eyes. 

Shin wasn’t surprised to see Xue, and neither was the latter surprised. They recognised each other in an instant. 

“I...finally remember you--” 

Xue covered Shin’s mouth, pressing a finger on his lips. 

At that moment, Cecil groaned softly, shifting her position slightly. The outer layer of the kimono almost slipped off, and Xue hurried to push it back onto her shoulders.

Xue looked back at Shin. 

Keep quiet. 

Don’t wake her up. 

Shin understood Xue’s thoughts, remaining silent. 

He noticed Xue lowering his gaze to their interlocked hands, narrowing his eyes at it. 

“Just this once.” Xue muttered out, quietly leaving the room. 

He shut the door behind him, his steps and movements so quiet, one wouldn’t even realise unless they were an extremely light sleeper. 

Shin gazed at Cecil, admiring her beautiful mein and the way her hair gradually slid down her face. 

“So pretty…” he whispered out, his gaze moving to their entwined hands. “And warm.” 

So warm. 

It was the same warmth she gave to him, when she reached out to him with her hand that day. It enveloped him, like it was the safe, warm abode he had craved for. 

Ever since the day his parents left him, Shin could not feel any warmth from anyone. 

All he could feel was the cold that constantly reminded him of his loneliness, the lack of presence of his parents. 

It never made him shiver, but it made him feel empty as if it was rapidly eating him up. 

Shin observed Cecil closely once again.

“I won’t leave.” 

“I’ll be here beside you, always.” 

He heard those words in his sleep, it was clear and soothing. Somehow, he could instantly recognise her voice even in his sleep.