12 | Cherry

V E R A

━━━━━━━━━━

After spending the next few hours, being introduced to a bunch of new faces within the art scene, the museum had started to empty out. I stayed with Cordelia and Nicolas for the majority of the night as Damien was nowhere to be found after leaving me hints about the painting.

His painting.

Standing in the empty exhibit, I glanced over at the piece one last time before walking out. After learning that he was the artist behind the erotic work, I spent the entire night wanting to ask him about it. Reaching the main lobby, Cordelia and Nicolas were standing by the staircase.

"Vera, sweetheart, there you are. Nicolas and I are headed out for a late night dinner, would you like to join?" Cordelia asked, hooking her arm around Nicolas's.

Giving her a blank stare, I tried to silently hint that I was on a mission to find Damien.

"Ah," She let out, turning to Nicolas. "She's trying to find Dami."

"Hey!" I blurted out, shocked that she had spilled a secret of mine.

"Vera, I'm already aware of what you do in your free time," Nicolas spoke, throwing me off. "Damien is my best friend, there isn't a thing I don't know about him."

As I stood in front of the dominant pair, all I could do was stare at them. Flustered, I looked down and started playing with the hem of my dress to distract me from the embarrassment I was currently feeling.

"I think you have some things you need to clear up, correct?" Cordelia gently asked, bringing her hand to the side of my arm.

Looking back up, they both gave me a reassuring look. While Cordelia had already known about my current situation and was rather accepting, a part of me expected Nicolas to be judgemental. His soft expression stated otherwise.

"I believe he's in the garden." Nicolas spoke, nodding towards the back of the museum.

"Remember, Vera. Your words are your most important tool." Cordelia explained, kissing me on the cheek and heading towards the main entrance doors.

Collecting myself and letting out a breath, I walked towards the back of the museum and stepped out onto the terrace. Looking left then right, I noticed a tall figure leaning against a large pillar which I could only assume was him. Walking closer, I noticed he had been holding a cigarette but it remained unlit.

"Mr. Dupont?" I quietly called out, trying not to sneak up on him.

Slowly turning around, he was now fully facing me. The indoor lights illuminated his face, further defining his structured features.

"Hmm?" He hummed, staring at me.

"Have you been out here the entire night?" I asked, keeping distance between us.

"For the most part, yes. It's easier to think out here." He explained, looking out at the view—the entire garden overlooked the city.

"Can I ask what you're thinking about?" I hesitantly let out.

"You." He confessed, bringing his eyes back to mine. "Sit, Vera."

Following him to the patio chairs, I sat down while he sat across from me. A table dividing us, it suddenly brought me back to the first time we had talked in his office. Except, I knew the conversation we were about to have was entirely personal this time.

"So, the painting?" I inquired, breaking the silence. "You're an artist?"

Placing the unlit cigarette into his jacket pocket, he straightened out in his chair.