Chapter 6

The ice cream parlor was about 10 minutes away from our house, so it didn't take us long to get home. We drove down our partially lit street, occasionally looking through the rear view mirror to make sure Liv was doing okay.

As I drove further down the paved road, I could see our house with a parked car in the driveway. I started to shake because it was our mother's car.

"Goddamn it," I mumbled under my breath, making sure Liv didn't hear it because I didn't want her to worry.

I sped up a little, my heart pounding in my chest as the thought of Jace being alone with my mother crossed my mind. The thought made me furious, she wasn't supposed to be home this early.

I rushed into the driveway, got out of the car and went over to the passengers side. I gently shook Olivia's shoulders and her petite body squirmed before slowly opening her eyes.

I crouched down to her level as I explained what was going on.

"Liv, I'm going to need you to go up to your room as fast as possible ok?" She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion but played along as she nodded. "Mom is home and Jace is by himself. I need to get her away from him. Just promise me, when we walk through the front door, you sprint to your room."

"I promise Dak," she whispered as her voice trembled.

My heart broke seeing her like this. I nodded and kissed her forehead as I lifted her out of the car. We walked to the front door and I slowly opened it, trying to check inside the house to make sure the coast was clear.

"Go now, Liv," I whispered.

This situation reminded me of the events that happened only a few days ago. This seemed to be a reoccurring event, one that I absolutely despised.

Her small hands pressed against the large, wooden door as she slightly opened it wider. Once she was able to fit through, she sprinted up the stairs, giving me a thumbs up at the top for reassurance. I gave her a small smile that didn't quite reach my eyes. I was just glad that she was safe in her room when I heard her door close.

After I knew Olivia was safe, I ran to Jace's room. As I got closer, I could hear a woman's voice screaming at someone. I couldn't breathe, I knew mom was in Jace's room by the direction her voice was coming from.

I pushed open his door and was greeted with Jace on the floor and our mother hovering over his body. My eyes shifted back down to Jace, noticing another small cut below his eye.

"What are you doing?" I hissed at my mother who finally noticed I was in the room.

She turned around to face me, revealing her bloodshot eyes, indicating she was high. I felt sick to my stomach as I smelled the alcohol from her breath wafting into my face. Being high and drunk at the same time was not a good thing, I knew from experience.

"Why are you yelling at your own mother? You know what happens when you act like a little shit," she asked as her cracked lips slightly rose into a sinister smirk. She walked towards me, her body slightly swaying from side to side.

I stiffened as my chest tightened in just seconds. The last time she said that, let's just say it was not the prettiest sight. Just a few more broken ribs and bruises to add to my collection.

"If you let Jace walk out of this door, you can do whatever you want with me. Do not involve them in this situation," I explained, my voice slightly cracking as I finished the sentence.

"Hell no, Dak. You can't do this!" Jace snapped as his eyes shot daggers towards my face.

Without leaving me time to respond, my mom roughly grabbed Jace's body up and dragged him out of his room. I guess we have our answer.

She closed the door, leaving just us in the room.

"I have been wanting to teach you a lesson for a long time," my mother mumbled towards the door, her words slurring together.

Before I even turned my head to look at her, I felt a huge force hit my back, immediately causing me to fall on the ground. The force knocked the wind out of me as I was left heaving and coughing, trying to catch my breath.

I would never understand what went on in her twisted mind. Because of her, I've been living in my own personal hell and I've never gotten a break from her abuse. I just needed to keep reminding myself that I'm only doing this to protect the two most important people in my life.

I looked up to see my mother with Jace's old baseball bat that she hit me with, gripped tightly in her hands. She dropped the bat and continued towards me. I tried to use the little body strength left in me to get up, but she immediately took notice of this and stomped on my ribs, making sure I stayed down.

I huffed out and fell back down to the floor. Pain shot all throughout my ribs and I could barely move. I could hear Jace pounding on the door, screaming at our mother.

She continued to kick me anywhere and everywhere on my body. My legs, back, stomach, and arms. I was like a blank canvas she was determined to make colorful. I was completely motionless, I couldn't move at all. I have never been in this much pain before, it was fucking horrible.

"You no good slut. I can see right through your lies. Trying to act tough when you're just a weak little girl. You can't even protect yourself, why do you think you could ever protect two bratty kids. My God, my life would be so much easier without you," she huffed after every hit she delivered. I wheezed as I held back a sob.

At least it was me, not Jace or Liv.

She raised her fist back one more time and it pummeled down on to my cheek. My head jerked sideways as black dots started to cover my vision. I screamed out in pain. She may be a petite woman, but when she was on alcohol and drugs, you'd be surprised with how powerful her punches can be.

I groaned in pain, coughing, just trying to get enough air into my lungs. My breath was ragged as I coughed one more time and tilted my head over to the side, feeling blood trickle down my chin, knowing it came from my mouth.

Fuck. This was not a good sign.

My mom mumbled one last thing before leaving the room, but I was completely out of it and couldn't comprehend anything she was saying. The only thing I could hear was me trying to catch my breath, gasping for air.

I could barely see through my swollen eyes, but I noticed my brother bursting through the room. He just stared at me in shock as he used his hand to cover his mouth.

I didn't even want to imagine how I looked right now. I saw him walk over to me. "Shit Dak, this is not good. Not good at all. Why would you do that?!" He exploded.

"I'm kind of responsible for you now, you know that right?" I mumbled, forming a bloody smile. I tasted more blood in the back of my throat as I just layed down, trying to relax my body.

"Datoka, this is serious. I need to take you to the doctor right now," he explained.

I didn't bother arguing because I was too exhausted. I was in so much pain and I just wanted to go to sleep.

It was getting harder and harder to keep my eyes open.

"Dak, don't you fucking dare. You can't do this, not today. Please keep your eyes open for me. Do it for Olivia," he begged.

"I c-can't," I slurred my words, my eyes drooping down more and more.

I heard Jace's voice screaming my name, but it sounded so far away. I wanted to get rid of all of this pain, so I just closed my eyes and finally welcomed the darkness with open arms.

—————————————————————————————
Hi hi hi hi :)

I've had chapter 6 in my notes for a while and I'm finally uploading it now. I am also writing chapter 7 as you are reading this :)

I hope everyone is having a wonderful 2021 so far. HAPPY ALMOST VALENTINES DAY MY LOVES <3

-Lauren <33