Chapter 19 - Mystery

Nathaniel's POV

"Nathaniel?" a soft voice stopped me in my tracks.

Arabella. The voice was faint, and I ran towards it as fast as I could until I found her on the forest floor, slightly slumped up against a tree. I rushed to her side, cupping her face with my hands and pulling her to me. Her vanilla scent laced between her soft hair was the only comfort to my racing heart. I pulled back, scanning her body for any injuries. There were traces of scratches and bruises in the process of healing. I took off my coat and wrapped it around her.

"What happened Ara?" 

"I don't know....." She replied. Her eyes were glazed, She looked completely disoriented, her pale lips were hanging slightly apart.

"Ara?" I grabbed her hands with mine to stop them from trembling. Her eyes were starting to water as she glared down at her hands.

"I woke up and I was here, I dont know how I got here Nathaniel..." She said softly, furrowing her eyebrows.

"It's okay now, I'm here..." I said gently, placing a tender kiss on her lips. "It won't happen again, I promise you. I won't let it."

I scooped her into my arms bridal style, she burried her face into the crook of my shoulders. I felt the dampness of her tears soak through the material of my shirt and I swore i felt my heart ache. A mild, constant burn in my chest followed me through the rest of my night as I watched her fall asleep beside me. 

______________________________________________________________

"Sleepwalking? That's the best answer you can give me?" I demanded, furious. 

The advisors around the oval looked anxiously at each other. 

I had called for a urgent meeting the first thing in the morning, I had to get to the bottom of this. I needed to know how and why she ended up in the middle of the forest, unprotected and vulnerable.

"It's unlikely that anybody managed to get in, there has been no signs of a security breach around the castle walls. Guards were on patrol that night and nothing out of the ordinary was observed or reported." One of the advisors contributed.

I clenched my jaw, slamming my fist into the oak table, making him flinch. "This is unacceptable gentlemen. Do not try to cover your incompetencies with absurd logic." I seethed.

The rest of the advisors immediately lowered their heads, shrinking into their seats, afraid to say any more. The room was filled with silence as my anger grew.

"I will look into the matter personally, my King." Xavier was the one to speak up this time. I heaved a sigh of relief, at least there was someone I trusted to be capable enough to investigate the matter thoroughly.

I stood up, straightening my suit. "I know I can count on you Xavier," giving him a pat on the shoulder and looking him straight in the eye.

He nodded sharply. 

"Keep me informed. If there is anything you need, ask." I instructed him.

I dismissed the meeting, intending to back to my room which I would be sharing with Ara from now on. Meanwhile, her room would be inspected for any possiblle clues to what had happened that night. I would never allow Ara to sleep alone again, i could not afford another incident like that. But before I could leave, Benjamin approached me quietly.

"How is she?" his blue eyes were a darker colour than usual, and they were brimming with concern. 

"She's fine." I answered curtly, I did not like him showing concern for what is mine. 

"Are you sure? I should talk to her-"

"Watch it Benjamin. Remember where you place." I shot him my coldest glare, a warning had to be made. I did not like how Benjamin regarded Ara as a friend, it made me uncomfortable. Was this jealousy?

Benjamin opened his mouth, looking like he was about to say something, but he swallowed his words and gave me a swift nod instead. "Yes, my King."

I winced at his words, he has never called me his King unless it was in front of other royals. I had regarded him more of a brother than a subordinate, and I was slowly starting to regret my harsh words. But i held my tongue, not offering an apology as he walked away. 

___________________________________________

I'm really sorry for the late update. I simply did not have the time to write because school got way too busy. I hope you guys understand!!! I'll try to update more often now. I hope you guys liked this chapter!! <3

The next update will be very, very soon. Promise! :)