Chapter 49

TWO WEEKS LATER

RITA

Hard ground was replaced with softness. The cold air was turned into a warm room temperature. The darkness was turned into light. I felt like I'd see the sun if I opened my eyes.

Even if I felt awake, I had no energy to move. Neither wanted I to open my eyes, scared that the comfort I felt was an illusion of my mind.

But I didn't want to go crazy either. I had to be strong for my baby. Therefore, I slowly opened my eyes, my eyes got teary due to the light in the room.

My vision was blurry vision. I blinked a few tears away, getting my vision back, and looking around sleepily.

I couldn't differ between the reality and the fantasy of a dream. I felt like mind was playing games with me. Because I wasn't in the basement anymore.

I was lying sideways on a bed. Lying next to me was the man who handed me to the devil — Roman. My heart pounded in my chest, I felt anxious.

I feared him. He hurt me badly. I didn't want to see him after he turned his back on me.

I did everything for him, I would even die for him, but he neither cared about me or our baby, otherwise he wouldn't give me to Antonio — he wouldn't abandon us.

If I was dreaming, I wanted to wake up, and abandon his illusion in my mind. If I was awake, I wanted to leave him — not wanting to risk my baby's life again by trusting him.

Slowly, I sat up, trying to ignore the physical pain. My whole body hurt from sleeping on the cold ground for days.

Then, I got up from bed. I sighed exhausted as I stoop up. As I was about to walk to the door, I heard him say, "Where are you going?"

I tensed, before slowly turning around to look at him. He was sitting on the bed, looking at me.

I licked my dry lips, looking at him in fear. As I didn't say anything, he sighed and got up from bed.

I grabbed the bedside lamp in panic before looking at him nervously. "S-Stay away from me," I told him, my voice shaking.

"We have seen this before and know how it will end, so put the lamp away and let's talk, ragazza," he told me calmly.

Shaking my head, I said with a trembling voice, "I-I don't want to talk, I have nothing to say to you."

"All right, then let me explain myself, hear me out, please," he pleaded with me as tears left my eyes — I wanted to get out of here.

"I-I want to go," I stammered, holding the lamp with my dear life. His features hardened as I mentioned I wanted to leave.

"Hear me out first, please, ragazza." His voice was full of distaste, I could tell he was unwilling to let me go.

Therefore, I decided to play to his tune and trick him by obeying his request — waiting for the best moment to smash him with the lamp and leave him.

"Okay," I said, lowering the lamp in my hands a little down, pretending to give in. He sighed and approached me.

He had let his guard down and looked at me softly.  Now that was the perfect moment.

"Let's sit—" I attacked him.

I hit him three times with the lamp in my hands as he was close enough. He groaned and stumbled back, holding his head in pain.

I didn't waste a second and let go of the lamp before running to the door. I opened the door and closed it behind me, using the lamp as a tool to block the door from opening.