21. Partners

Thick snowflakes drift down from the grey sky

The grounds of Thornhill High are a battleground.

I make my way across the parking lot, doing my best not to slip on the frozen ground whilst simultaneously trying to dodge all of the snowballs being thrown.

I grab either side of the fur hood of my coat as the wind picks up.

"Hey, Anatolia!"

I turn to the direction I hear my name being called as a a torrent of snowballs are launched my way.

I bring my arm up to shield myself, but not before a few have already hit me square in the face.

I blink snow from my eyes and see Andrew Shelby laughing with a few of his buddies next to his car.

I bend down and scoop as much snow as I can into my mittens and compound it into a decent-sized snowball.

I throw it as hard as I can at Andrew. I think it hits him with a good amount of force, but Andrew just scoffs.

"What the fuck was that, Princess?" He yells.

A huge block of ice suddenly flies past me out of nowhere and connects with his head.

Andrew hits the deck.

I whirl around, mouth open, as River and his gang glide past me.

"Concussion, Bitch." River calls back, nonchalantly, wiping his hands dry on his black combat pants, as he climbs Thornhill's steps and disappears into the building.

~

I walk into biology alone; Lucy's skipping the lesson since she didn't do the homework.

There's not many people here yet- probably due to the snow.

But River's already seated at our desk. He's got his head bowed, and his hand is clutching a golden fountain pen that's moving across his notebook in random directions.

I peer over at his drawing as I reach my chair. It's just a bunch of scribbles.

"A convincing self-portrait," I comment.

River jumps slightly. I bite back a smile.

"Oh, yeah? That's funny because it's meant to be you."