19 | talk of the school

"I don't get it. Why did you leave?" Stephen asks for the umpteenth time as he follows me to our lockers which are close to each other.

His mind is full of questions regarding my sudden disappearance from the party.

I have tried to erase the party from my head but each time I attempt to do so, I feel the press of Carter's lips and it makes me feel greedy with need. Carter and I haven't spoken since then and we have tried our best to ignore each other. I believe ignorance has become the default status of our relationship.

"It was nothing. I was just feeling sick. I hate crowds."

Stephen stands behind me while I put my books in the locker and pick items for the next class to put in my bag.

"But still...are you okay now?"

I turn around to find him looking at me concernedly. His care for me makes me smile. I never had people other than Mom care for my well-being so much. I like to have Stephen around. He is a friendly presence.

"I'm fine, Steph-"

"Don't you get bored with him around all the time?" Carter's voice makes me stop and I find him leaning beside us against the lockers.

Stephen looks at him too but I find Carter's eyes on me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask in perplexity.

If I am not wrong, we were in our 'avoid each other' phase.

Carter looks from me to Stephen and his lips curve into a smirk. "What are you? Moth to her flame?"

"Excuse me?" Stephen says, sounding offended.

He takes a step toward Carter but the action makes me realize that I am sandwiched between the two guys. I see students looking at us and they pretend to be busy when I spot them. My cheeks heat up in embarrassment as I take a step forward to get out from between the boys but Carter takes a step closer at the same time and blocks my path. He and Stephen are throwing daggers at each other. They are both of almost the same height but Carter is an inch taller.

"Guys, stop," I say, rolling my eyes as I put my hands on both of their arms.

They don't even look at me.

"Stop bothering her, okay? I don't think she wants you running behind her like a lost puppy all the time," Carter chides, jabbing a finger at Stephen's chest.

"You're the one who should stop bothering her. I'm pretty sure she was running away from you yesterday," Stephen retorts, his hand reaching to Carter's collar.

Carter looks at Stephen's fingers grabbing his shirt and shoves it off.

"Fuck off! She wasn't running from me."

I am the topic of this conversation and yet none of them dare to look at me as they argue over who I was running from and who I hate.

Speak of toxic masculinity

"Hey guys, please stop it and please move," I interrupt, holding Carter's arm as I try to push him away. "Steph, c'mon..."

Carter looks at my hand on his arm and then at me. I let go instantly and look at Stephen instead. Facing Carter reminds me of our kiss which I am not able to get over. The problem doesn't solve itself since his lips always look kissable.

"So you're on a nickname basis now?" Carter asks, his voice seething with anger.

Unlike Carter, Stephen doesn't even budge from his place and his eyes stay rooted on Carter. I spot a muscle in his jaw tick as he takes another step toward Carter until they are only an inch away from each other. Unfortunately, I am still stuck in between but the tension in the air has risen and my heart thumps loudly when what I have been fearing actually happens.