Science Geeks

You loved being a support unit student over in Isamu Academy, working on different heroics gear and doing what you could to improve your friends a bit here and there. It also helps when you had a close friend who was a walking talking tech device. Her name was Kashiko Sekigai, and man, did you low-key have a crush on her. Hey, she was a genius and a great leader, being in charge of your class since last year. And what can you say? You loved a fellow genius.

One day, you were working on tracking software, typing up the code that would allow heroes to get a hunt down on villains from around the country—trying to eliminate the threat of villains quickly and efficiently. All with a quick injection. You whistled a little as you worked in your lab, getting all the parts you could get together in a timely fashion. You heard the door behind you open but didn't pay much attention to it. You just continued to work on your code, that was, until whoever entered walked up beside you.

Sekigai: Uh, hi, (Y/N)?

Your head perked up, and you quickly turned to face the sound. When you did, you saw her; you couldn't help but give a slight smile. And, of course, sound like an idiot with your greetings to her.

(Y/N): Hey, Sekigai. How-uh-how's it going?

Sekigai: It's good. It's going good.

(Y/N): That's good. Uh, so, uh, what brings you here?

Sekigai: Not much. I just wanted to see how your work was doing. I know you said you were working really hard on it.

(Y/N): Oh. Well, thank you very much then. Uh, as you can see, the code is still being worked on. But I think I am on the correct path.

Sekigai: Well, that's good.

You two fell silent a little. The only bit of communication you offered up was nodding in agreement with her and looking around the room awkwardly. She cleared her throat silently, but you got her attention rather quickly.

Sekigai: If you still need a reference point, I wouldn't mind helping you out at all. I mean, my quirk is exactly the time of thing you are looking for.

(Y/N): As true as that is, I need to find some way to designate people as threats without being seen. That way, tracking will be all the easier.

Sekigai: Well, maybe it could work. Just to have some basis for the work?

Sekigai activated her quirk and pulled up the hologram along her arm. She then moved to hold it up to you and smiled at you. You looked at her and saw her smile. You trembled a little, not out of pure fear, but due to your feelings for her. You didn't know how to respond properly, but you quickly shook your head and formulated an answer.

(Y/N): Uh...I don't think I can do much with it. But I appreciate the thought.

Sekigai must have realized there wasn't much she could do as she pulled her arm away with a bit of a look that screams "I messed up" on her face.

Sekigai: Right, sorry.

(Y/N): There's nothing to be sorry about. But thank you for the offer nonetheless. Besides, I found it ironic that someone with a tracking quirk would help someone make a device that would eliminate the need for heroes with tracking capabilities.

Sekigai: Oh...right. Yeah, I guess that does make sense.

Sekigai quickly turned around and began to hit herself with two of her fingers directly into her forehead. You could hear her say the word "Stupid" over and over again. You quickly got up and placed your hand on her wrist to stop her.

(Y/N): Stop it, will you? One mistake does not equate you to stupidity.

Sekigai: (Takes a deep breath) Right. Forgive me for my outburst.

(Y/N): You're fine. I just don't want you to think your stupid for wanting to help others. Can't be much of a hero if you don't do that.

Sekigai looked up at you and smiled. You smiled back to her. However, you both turned your heads away from one another after you both stared for a few moments. You cleared your throat and sat back down at your workbench.

(Y/N): Well, I would hate to keep you here. I really do appreciate the effort, though.

Sekigai: It's ok! Really. I don't have much else to really do anyway. If you need help with building the software-

(Y/N): Not really, no. (Head perks up) But I guess I could always take a break. Maybe get some food. Since you said you don't have much else to do. Not to say that you are wasting your time or anything on. But, I guess that came out wrong and-

You looked up and saw Sekigai give you a smile, not really taking in the words at face value. You sighed and spun in your chair, and stood up.

(Y/N): Well, let's go.

Sekigai: Right.

You both smiled and walked on down to the cafeteria together. There wasn't much in the room of conversation, outside of hearing your stomach growl every so often. It was enough for Sekigai to notice and laugh a little as you both made some jokes here and there. She also told you about going over to UA for a few days just to get some training in and see how a joint operation could work out.

You guys were never really rivals with UA, rather you saw them as a friendly ally, and a chance to work with them was more than worth it.

Sekigai: You know...I could try to get the teachers to let you come along.

(Y/N): No. It's for hero students only. I'm a support student. Besides, I hate to step on your toes here and there.

Sekigai: I don't mind. Really. I'm sure some of the others wouldn't mind either.

(Y/N): I mean, you said you were going with Fujimi. That guy is hyper-competitive.

Sekigai: I wouldn't worry about him. I'll try my best to keep him in line.

(Y/N): He does have an aggressive personality. You sure?

Sekigai: I think I know what to do.

You quickly glance away, thinking you offended her.

(Y/N): Sorry. I didn't mean anything negative by that. I just wanted to make my point known.

Sekigai: And it's a valid point. And I thank you for the concern. Really.

Sekigai had a smile on her face as you slowly began to smile back with her. She then ran forward a little bit and got in line for some food, with you quickly following behind her. From joint training, the conversation moved to a possible internship with I-Island. And that was all on you. You had the stuff, and you were determined to get it right and get into that institution over your Nakagame break.

And when you told Sekigai, the first thing she did was hug you. You could almost feel the joy radiating off of her. When she did break the hug, the smile on her face was a giant one.

Sekigai: That's fantastic! You should be proud of yourself.

(Y/N): I filed an application. Doesn't mean I got in.

Sekigai: Still! You took the initiative. That has to mean something, right?

(Y/N): I guess.

Sekigai: You guess. That's more impressive than going over to UA for a day. That could launch you with some massive support companies.

(Y/N): I guess so. But we'll see. I'm one of 80 people who have applied so far. I wouldn't be surprised if a few hundred more jumped on it.

Sekigai: Hey. I know what we can do to get your mind off of stress. Since we are done with lunch, maybe just going around a walk around campus? Just to keep talking?

(Y/N): (Soft smile) I wouldn't mind that.

Sekigai: Then what are you waiting for.

Sekigai smiled as you stood up with her. You both then proceeded to walk out of the cafeteria, smiles on your faces as you just continued to walk around campus. Just before you left the area, Sekigai turned back to a table of other hero course students, her close friends, and gave them a thumbs up. They smiled back at her, knowing full well that her plan to spend with her crush was finally in motion.