Chapter 5A

Yeji's POV

THE MOMENT I looked at him, memories of the past began to circulate in my head.

"Are you sure you can handle it there?" My brother asked me as he helps me with my baggage.

"Of course." I tried sounding okay even though I'm not really okay.

I'm leaving to go to New York. Our middle school graduation just ended earlier today. We were supposed to be happy but the bad news came to us that Harabeoji was sick so I informed my parents that I'll go to New York.

"Here's your ticket, Yeji." Chaeryeong handed me my ticket. Her family's business is running an airline so when I told them I was going to New York to visit my grandfather she immediately said she will take care of it.

"Thanks, Chaer." I said as I hugged her.

I turned to my left and saw their worried faces. They know I'm just trying my best not to cry. I tried smiling even though my tears can burst at any time. Lia, Ryujin, and Yuna approached us and joined the group hug. Gosh! I'm gonna miss them damn much!

"I'm sorry for ruining a special day." They shook their heads. We were supposed to celebrate our graduation, Lia and my graduation, but we couldn't.

"We can celebrate next time," Yuna comforted me.

"Won't you hug your brother?" I rolled my eyes at my brother when he said that. Why did he have to ruin the moment?!

"Why would I? I'll be seeing you with Mom and Dad soon."

"You're really bad! You won't miss your 'older brother' even though you won't see me for a few days?" I rolled my eyes once again. That rascal really emphasizes the word 'older brother' like he's older than me for one year when in reality it's only a minute!

I turned my gaze to Ryujin, "Ryu, take care of my 'older brother'. Report to me if he'll do anything stupid. Pinch his ear until it's red when he brought girls at home." Ryujin just nodded then looked at my brother before looking back at me.

Ryujin is my brother's best friend. They became friends before I met her.

I motioned them goodbye. This will be a long ass ride!

I forced myself to sleep the whole trip because I don't want to cry. I don't want my grandfather to see me with swollen eyes once I go there.

I saw our family driver waiting for me at the airport. "Should I take you to the mansion so you can rest, Miss Yeji?"

He asked after we got inside the car.

I shook my head. "Take me to the hospital."

"I bought food earlier, eat it if you're hungry."

"Thanks."

I opened the paper bag and saw what he had bought for me. Burger and fries with a water bottle. Even though I didn't eat that much while I'm flying over here, I'm still not that hungry so I just ate the fries he bought.

"You should've rest at the house. I know you're tired because of your flight." Harabeoji's secretary greeted me when I entered the room where Harabeoji was confined. I looked around and saw that Harabeoji was asleep.

"I can rest here, Secretary Hong."

"Congestive Heart Failure, Stage D." I gasped. "Your grandfather knows about it and he didn't want to tell you because he doesn't want you to get worried. After knowing his disease, he got medical treatment every now and then." There were tears dripping on my face. I can't imagine what my grandfather experienced. "Stage C when he found out he had heart failure. He underwent treatment but it didn't work because his disease developed in Stage D, the last stage."

I had no idea he was sick because he was always smiling every time we video call each other. I didn't know that behind those smiles, he's actually going through a hard time dealing with his disease alone.

I sobbed and asked, "W-What kind of treatment does H-Harabeoji need?"

"Heart transplant." I sighed in relief! At least there is a way. "B-But your grandfather doesn't want to." My eyes widened.

"Why? Doesn't he want to get well?"

"I don't know the reason. It's better if you ask him yourself." He stood up. "I'll get going. I'll be back tomorrow."

I didn't realize I fall asleep! When I opened my eyes, my grandfather's smile opened up to me.

"Good morning!" He greeted me warmly.

"Good morning!" I tried my best to put on a smile. I don't want him to be sad when he sees me crying because of his condition now.

FEW MONTHS HAD passed but my grandfather was still like this. My parents along with my brother visit us every month. I stayed here in New York to take care for Harabeoji. I also stopped studying which made Harabeoji get angry. I also heard from Lia that she'll also skip a year so that we can be classmates with Chaeryeong and the Shin cousins once I'm back. I told her she didn't have to do it but it seems she's already decided.

"Won't you ask me why I didn't get a transplant?" I was shocked when Harabeoji asked us that. We're complete right now. My parents and brother are here. "There's not a high chance that I'll survive the transplant. I don't want you to expect the transplant to be successful because the chances of it succeeding are low. I want to be with you all in my last moments before I leave."

"Appa!" Daddy scolded him.

"I'm happy that the last moments of my life were with my family." He's having a hard time speaking but he still continued. "I'm happy I can wear a smile on my face."

He tried to smile. I can feel tears welling up in my eyes.

"I want to rest."

My tears started pouring. I tried smiling at him before he closed his eyes. A long flat line then was seen on the screen.

"Hwang Yeji!" I heard my brother called my name as he chases me.

I can't help but run away. Harabeoji is gone. He's gone.

"Mind if I sit next to you?" I thought it's my brother but I was wrong.

I nodded.

"Why are you crying?" He asked.

I didn't utter a word.

"Hey! I asked you a question."

I blankly stared at him. I saw him wearing a hospital gown. "Sorry, I don't talk to strangers."

"I'm Yeonjun."

"Did I ask?"

"You said you don't talk to strangers that's why I introduced myself to you." He answered. "I'm Yeonjun."

"Yeji."

"Let's go, I'll show you something."

I was startled when he suddenly grasped my hand when no one else was looking. He started running to God know's where along with me. I try removing my hand from him but he's more powerful.

"What the heck, Yeonjun?"

He stopped running and looked at me intensely, "So you remember me."