Chapter 12 - Lied To

White-hot anger courses through your body so intensely it nearly blurs your vision. Irate, your stomach twists and lurches in violent waves of anxious nausea.

How dare he, you fume. How fucking DARE he!

Struggling to think clearly, you take the elevator straight down to the Avengers' Floor, and head for the kitchen. You grab a cold water from the fridge, uncapping it and taking several large gulps. It helps settle your stomach, but does nothing for the angry heat in your cheeks. So you pour some of it into your hand and splash your face, ignoring how it spills down your neck and wets the collar of your green blouse. It's soothing. And it slows your pulse as rational thought slowly starts to return.

"Hey Y/n!" Clint calls out from the living room. "Do you want to watch a movie with Nat and I? We're debating between Heat and Raiders of the Lost Ark."

"Uh, no thanks, guys," you mumble. "I'm not feeling great."

"Oh, okay...well, let us know if you need anything!" calls Clint as you begin the retreat to your quarters.

Desperate to get away from everyone, you breathe a sigh of relief when you reach the door to your bedroom. But when it slides open, your heart leaps into your chest as you see Thor sitting on the edge of your bed. You're not sure how he managed to sneak past you and make it to your room first, but you don't particularly care.

"You return!" he mumbles through a full mouth, hastily stashing away a crinkly, silver wrapper of some sort and wiping crumbs away from his lips.

You ignore him, and walk straight to your bathroom, shutting and locking the door.

"My lady?" he calls through the door.

Again you ignore him, a tear coming to your eye as you undress, and turn on the shower. As you step into its warmth, there is a gentle - almost timid - knock at your door.

"Lady, Y/n?" Thor calls out again.

"Go away, Thor," you shout back.

After a moment of silence, Thor speaks again. "My lady, are you all right?" he asks. "Did you speak with my brother?"

Confused, you take a moment to rinse the shampoo from your hair before speaking.

"You know I damn well I didn't, Thor," you shout back. "And quite frankly, I'm not ready to talk to you yet, so I think it's better that you go."

Part of you hopes that Thor stays, and insists on speaking. You know it's a selfish desire, seeing as you've just commanded him to leave. Nevertheless your heart sinks when you don't receive any further response from the blonde god. Tired and upset, you sit on the floor of your shower and allow the warm streams of water to roll down your shoulders and back, and mix with the tears that fall silently down your face.

You're confused. Angry. Betrayed. It wasn't easy to share some of the things you had. And the next day he takes everything you said and throws it in your face?

It doesn't make sense, you think. That's not like him...is it?

As you sit on the floor of your shower, you calm your breathing and think about Loki. If you didn't know any better, you'd think that the emotions you were feeling right now belonged to him.

You stay there, sitting beneath the water, until your fingertips grow wrinkled. Only then do you push yourself to your feet and turn off the shower, wrapping yourself up in the white, fluffy robe Natasha had given you on your first night in the tower.

Steam curls around your ankles as you step from the bathroom, and you wrinkle your nose in discomfort at just how cold the air in your bedroom is.

"Lady Y/n...?"