Chapter 13 - I'm Sorry

"Vitals?"

"Stable."

Voices swirl in an anonymous cacophony of barked orders and timid replies. They're distant, but close enough to make out familiarity. Tony and Bruce. 

"Put her through a scan, Banner. I want to make sure all of her brains are, you know, where they're supposed to be."

"We've already scanned her, Tony. She's fine."

"Then get a muzzle for the mutt upstairs. His barking is driving me batty."

"Tony, relax."

A woman's voice enters the fray from somewhere distant. Warm and soft. Reassuring. Safe. You try desperately to swim to the surface of consciousness - anything to get closer to it. 

 "If he hadn't alerted JARVIS to the situation, she might be in an even worse condition," the woman says. "We owe him a thank you."

"I agree with the Lady Virginia. And I wonder why it is that he did so. It was a perfect opportunity to try one of his tricks."

"I don't know guys, maybe he likes her..."

"Can it, Rogers."

You let out a groan as the voices echo in your head. 

You blink a few times as hazy figures come into focus. You're on your back, staring up at a ring of worried faces - Tony's is the closest, his brow furrowed in concern.

"I think she's up. Hey, squirt - how you feeling?"

"Owww," you groan as a painful throb settles in the base of your skull. Your hand immediately flies to where a good sized welt has started to form there. "What happened?" you ask, confused.

"You were knocked out cold," Tony frowns. 

"You'll be fine," says Bruce from a station a few feet away. "You started to seize, but we were able to stabilize you. You also have a minor concussion and what looks like a couple of strange bruises on your neck. They're small. They should heal in a day or two."

"Knocked out?" you question, gaze flitting around the faces in the room, confused. "But...what was I-?" your eyes land on Thor, and everything comes rushing back. 

The illusion. The fight.

The kiss.

You inhale sharply, shooting up on the table and startling Tony who takes a step back as you quickly angle your body away to hide where Loki's lips had no doubt left the marks that Bruce was referring to. You pray that no one had taken a closer look while you were unconscious.

Loki kissed me...he kissed me, and I linked with him.

"Oh no," you exhale below your breath, distraught.

"So, Little Miss 'I Can Do It Myself', you want to tell us what happened up there?" Tony questions, his tone suspicious.

"I-I-uh...we got into an argument and, well, I'm not exactly sure what happened," you stammer. "But...I think I lost control of my powers," you admit.

Tony rubs his temples. "I knew I shouldn't have given you the run of the place unchaperoned. He's dangerous, Y/n. I should have been keeping a closer eye on you."

You bury your face in your hands. Partially to obscure your blush from the memory of Loki's fingers in your hair, partially from the embarrassment of having let down Tony and the rest of the Avengers.

"It's not her fault, Tony," says Natasha, placing a hand on your back. You flinch away from her touch. 

He told me to stop.