3.1 the leaky cauldron

Y/N's pov ϟ

"Dad?" I called as I entered his room.

He was sleeping at his desk, piled with paperwork. My heart ached as I saw how tired he looked. I decided against waking him up to say goodbye before I left for the Leaky Cauldron to meet the Weasleys. I closed the door and turned around to see my mom coming up the stairs.

"Y/N, are you excited for your third year?" she asked as she fixed my jumper.

"Yeah! I'm excited to see my friends" I said with a grin on my face. I've been writing to Harry, Ron, and Hermione almost everyday during the summer and was really excited to see them in a couple of minutes.

"Now, remember, be good to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and stay safe when you board the train to Hogwarts tomorrow." My mom guided me towards the fireplace and handed me a cup full of floo powder.

I hugged my mother before I took a large handful and stood in the fireplace.

"The Leaky Cauldron."

I stepped out of the fireplace to see Hermione and Ron running over to me.

"Y/N!" Hermione and Ron exclaimed as they hugged me.

"How have you been?" I smiled as I pulled away from our group hug.

"Amazing! I went to Egypt in the summer and-" Ron was cut off as an orange cat chased Scabbers into the room.

"I'm warning you, Hermione! Keep that bloody beast of yours away from Scabbers or I'll turn it into a tea cup."

"He's a cat, Ronald! What do you expect? It's in his nature."

I had to stifle my laughter as they started arguing like an old married couple.

"Hello gorgeous," two voices sang as they walked behind me.

"Fred, George!" I ran towards them as they enveloped me into a hug.

"Are you excited for quidditch tryouts? I know you were practicing all summer," Fred said as he winked.

"Seems like Ron told you guys," I smiled. "I'm so excited! I hope I join the team."

"Harry!"

"Oh Ronald, what are you on about now." Hermione snapped before she turned around to see the raven haired boy walking down the staircase.

I whipped around to see Harry, the boy I practically wrote three letters to everyday during the summer. I turned a pink shade of crimson as I ran up to him and engulfed him into a bear hug.

"Hey, how were you?" Harry asked as I turned to look into his blue eyes. He smelt exactly the same as last year, the specific cinnamon smell that I had grown to like.

Before I could answer, Harry was thrown back by Ron and Hermione's hugs.

~~~

As the four of us chattered about our summers, we sat down at the table as Ron pulled out a newspaper.

"Egypt!" Harry pointed at the newspaper where the Weasley family stood in front of the Great Pyramids waving. "What's it like?"

"Brilliant. It's got loads of old stuff. Mummies. Death masks. Tombs-"

"You know, the ancient Egyptians of the Nile River delta worshipped the cat goddess Bast." Hermione said smugly.

Ron turned to glare at Hermione before continuing.

"I got a new wand." Ron said proudly. "Also-"

"Harry. I wonder if I might have a word."

The four of us turned around to see Mr. Weasley.

"Hello Y/N," Mr. Weasley smiled at me kindly before looking at Harry for a response. I smiled back and turned to Harry. 

"Of course, Mr. Weasley." Harry stood up and followed Mr. Weasley next to the poster of Sirius Black screaming with the title, Have you seen this man?

I turned back to see Ron and Hermione now arguing on Ron's outfit choice in the newspaper photo. I smiled slightly as I tried to break up their argument, excited for our third year at Hogwarts.

Harry's pov ϟ

As I followed Mr. Weasley, I couldn't stop thinking of how pretty Y/N got over the summer. She smelled like vanilla, the shampoo she always uses.

Mr. Weasley pulled me from my thoughts as he began to talk.

"Harry. There are some within the Ministry who would strongly discourage me from divulging what I'm about to tell you. But I think you need to know the facts. Because you're in danger. Grave danger."

My eyes drifted to the moving fugitive poster.

"Has this anything to do with him, sir?" I said as I pointed to Sirius Black.

"Well, yes. In Black's mind, only you stand in the way of... You-Know-Who returning to power. That's why he's broken. That's why he's broken out of Azkaban. To find you. And..." He hesitated.

"Kill me?"

Mr. Weasley nodded nervously. "Harry. I want you to swear that -- whatever you might hear -- you won't go looking for Black."

"Mr. Weasley, why would I go looking for someone who wants to kill me?"

He curtly nodded and clapped me on the back. "Right. Now, go on. Make sure you stay safe at Hogwarts, Harry, your safety is top priority."

"Yes, Mr. Weasley." I began to walk back to the bickering table, wondering how adventurous this year will be.

A/N: amortentia foreshadowing?