Chapter 14 - Now You See Me

"ALERT - BREACH IN SECURE HOLDING 1"

A shrill alarm underscores JARVIS's calm, yet urgent, announcement. Your head, still thick with medicated sleep, throbs with a leftover ache from your earlier injury. 

"ALERT - BREACH IN SECURE HOLDING 1"

Adrenaline clears the cobwebs in your mind, sharpening your focus as you leap from your bed, the sheets caught around your ankles. You stumble to your closet and grab a sweater, tossing it on atop your pajamas as you run out to the main hall, where Steve is already in his full uniform, and Natasha is securing her utility belt.

"What's going on?" you yell above the screeching alarms.

"ALERT - BREACH IN SECURE HOLDING 1"

"Loki escaped his holding area," Steve shouts. "Nat and I are starting a sweep of the grounds. Tony's already in the air searching the shoreline. Clint's on the roof keeping an eye out." 

You stare blankly at Steve, confused. Not understanding. "Loki?" you echo, his name thick and heavy on your tongue.

"Yeah, Loki," Natasha snaps, checking the chamber of her pistol and holstering it. "He got out."

"But he can't get out," you say dumbly, brain still trying to catch up. "It's not possible."

"He's a god," Natasha says sourly. 

Steve frowns. "Whatever he is, he's dangerous," he says. "And we need to find him. Fast."

"Where's Thor?" you question. "He knows Loki best. He'll know where to start looking."

"He went back to Asgard once we verified you were okay," Natasha says as she finishes lacing up her combat boots. "We'll have to do this without him."

Natasha takes off down the hallway without sparing you or Steve another glance. "Wait!" you call after her. But she's gone. So you turn to Steve. "Please, Steve, how can I help?"

"You're still recovering. You're in no position to fight, Y/n. Stay in your quarters - we'll be back when we have him."

"But Steve, I-,"

"No, Y/n," Steve says, shutting you down. "You need to stay here."

"But I can take a car!" you urge. "I can make it across the city faster than Nat or Clint!"

"I said no," Steve frowns. "It's too dangerous. We don't know why he escaped, or what he plans to do. We can't have you out there alone and unprotected."

You scoff. "I'm not unprotected Steve. I have powers, remember?"

Steve sighs deeply and places a hand on your shoulder. "I know you're worried about him," he says. "We'll find him."

"W-wha-," you stammer, face burning. "No, that's not...he's my responsibility Steve! I'm supposed to be the one interrogating him. And he got out. On my watch! I have to get out there!"

"Y/n, stop," Steve says firmly. "You're not ready to go into the field. Not yet. You will be soon. But not yet. So you need to stay here so I can do my job and not go out there worried about you, okay?"

Steve turns and grabs his shield, nodding before taking off after Natasha. Stunned, angry, you let out a frustrated yell as you head to the elevator.

"ALERT - BREACH IN SECURE HOLDING 1"

"JARVIS - for God's sake turn off the alarms, we know he's gone."

"Yes, miss."

"And take me to the balcony."