Chapter Twenty-Five | London

"DO YOU SUPPOSE Ginger will be comfortable in a basket with blankets?" Vivienne asked Lady Torrington.

There was a flurry of activity around them as footmen were placing trunks in the carriage in preparation for their journey to London.

"Absolutely not," Lady Torrington said with a tone of distain. "You must leave the feline here. I will not travel with it."

"But I can't just leave her here alone, she will be lonely."

The dowager turned up her nose, "There are plenty of servants in Chalcott manor, surely someone will keep her company."

Vivienne watched from the corner of her eyes as James approached them. He had been holed up in his study the last few days making the arrangements for their journey and preparing the place for his absence. The duke looked at both Vivienne and Lady Torrington picking up the subtle tension between them.

"What is the matter?" he asked.

"Lady Torrington won't let me bring Ginger to London," Vivienne complained.

James' brown eyes peered into her and Vivienne's heart sank. She knew she wouldn't be getting her way. As if noticing her sadness, the duke explained, "She will be happier here. London is a city where there isn't much for a cat to do. At least in Chalcott manor, she can explore outside, catch as many mice as she wants."

Vivienne didn't say anything, but she turned away to shield her face from James and the dowager. "I have a few things left to pack. I'll be down in an hour."

"Don't be late," James said at her back, "I wish to be in London before supper."

She ignored the duke's words and ran to her room where Ginger was awaiting her. She tugged the cat to her chest. "Oh Ginger, you are going to have to remain here while I'm in London."

The cat purred, and Vivienne's heart broke even more. "You'll be good for the servants? I'll ask Mrs. Shrine to look out for you."

The cat meowed in response and the burden upon Vivienne's heart lightened slightly. Vivienne spent the next few minutes with Ginger. She was really going to miss the cat. There was a knock on her door and a maid stepped in, "It's time my Lady."

Vivienne looked up from petting Ginger before she gave the cat one final hug. "I'll be back before you know it darling."

She stepped into the riding coat the maid held and walked down the stairs. She knew it was only for a few weeks, but a feeling of sadness overcame her at the thought of leaving Chalcott manor. It was not her home, but it had begun to feel like it. Perhaps this trip to London was better for creating distance, lest she grow even more attached to the manor. Martin held the door open for her, and she smiled at the butler. "Thank you for everything Martin, I'll be back soon enough."

The butler didn't look affected as he merely bowed, "We will be waiting for your return my Lady."

She exited the manor, ignoring the feeling of sadness creeping upon her. The duke sat upon his horse, looking regal in his riding hat and boots.

"Will you not be joining us in the carriage?"

James shook his head, "I don't believe you ladies will be comfortable with me in there as well. I also enjoy having my horse in London in case I ever need to return in a hurry."

Vivienne nodded at his response. Spinning away, she took the footman's hand and stepped into the carriage. Lady Torrington was already seated against the lush brown and gold upholstery. The carriage was truly magnificent in his shades of gold and black. Vivienne could not stop her fingers from running alongside the plush interior. The roof had geometric designs running along the corners, drawing her in.