29 - her blessing

He stood on the porch, holding a bouquet of flowers in his hands and staring ahead at the closed door.

Anxiety was a rare feeling for him, but he had come to realize why that was. Throughout his life, he never paid much attention to what people thought of him because he found it pointless. He was never ashamed of himself, because the concept of feeling guilty over something uncontrollable didn't make sense to him, although he did wish he was normal from time to time.

Things were different now. He had her—someone who truly accepted him for who he was. Despite knowing that, he still felt nervous around her because he cared about what she thought of him, and he saw the value in the things she valued.

Which was why meeting her grandmother—her favorite person—had his heart racing with fear.

He inhaled through his nose, pushing past the irksome feeling, and raised his fist to knock on the mahogany door. A faint smile crept onto his face as he listened to a pair of small footsteps sprint to the door. He could see her through the colorful stained glass panels, watching her wave excitedly from the other side.

"Hi!" Ali said happily once she opened the door. She reached up to press a quick kiss to his lips. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," Sawyer replied honestly, although it had only been two days since they last saw each other. Her radiant eyes dropped down to the flowers in his hands, and he cleared his throat. "They're for your grandmother."

She grinned. "You remembered that she likes peonies. That'll definitely give you some extra brownie points. Come on, she's waiting."

She pulled him inside and headed toward the living room on the left. He took off his shoes in the foyer as his eyes roamed the small house that was decorated with a mixture of bohemian and rustic designs. The ambience was immediately warm and welcoming; it reminded him of her.

After a brief moment, he stepped into the living room and locked eyes with the elderly woman in the beige armchair. She seemed smaller in person, compared to the pictures he had seen beforehand, but her kind eyes were the same. Her lips curled upwards, showing her prominent smile lines around her mouth and eyes, as she looked at his tall figure and defined features.

"Ali, you've caught yourself a pretty one, have you?" the old lady remarked, chuckling lightly, making her granddaughter blush. She noticed the bouquet in his hands and gasped quietly. "Are those peonies?"

Sawyer nodded, then walked over to her and gently laid the bouquet across her lap. He noticed the way her eyes lit up, just as her granddaughter's did.

The elderly woman took his hand and smiled up at him. "Thank you, dear. It's Sawyer, is it?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Call me Nina. Anyone who gives me peonies is immediately on a first name basis," she said, giving his hand a pat before letting go. She leaned back against her chair and smelled the flowers as he plopped down beside Ali on the couch.

Ali interlaced their fingers, resting them on her knee, and turned to her grandmother. "Sawyer grew up here like you, Grandma. He's never even been to the city."

"You should take him there and show him around then," Nina suggested, sending a wink her way, and Ali smiled sheepishly.

Ali continued to easily lead the conversation for a couple more minutes, while Sawyer nodded along happily, before her grandmother decided to interject. She handed her the bouquet as she spoke. "Ali, dear, would you put these in a vase for me before I forget? Make sure to use the tall, glass one with the clear design in the very back of the cabinet."

"Sure. I'll be right back."

Sawyer sunk back against the couch as her hand detached from his, and she walked to the kitchen. Nina craned her neck to see if she had left, then let out a long breath, turning to him. "My beloved granddaughter has many talents, but she simply doesn't seem to know when to stop talking sometimes."

"I don't mind that," he assured her, and she let out an amused chuckle.

"That's because you don't hear her talk about you all day. My, that girl sure likes you!" Nina exclaimed, huffing playfully, and he smiled as he pictured it in his mind. He imagined it was similar to the way she gushed about dachshunds one day, which was her favorite dog breed, with her hands flailing around enthusiastically.

"I like her a lot too," Sawyer said quietly as his eyes glazed over in thought. The old lady eyed him for a moment, particularly the fond smile that was openly sprawled across his face, before she straightened in her seat. His attention was drawn back to her when she leaned forward, her gaze suddenly intense.

"Then, Sawyer, I need you to make me a promise," Nina requested solemnly, and he nodded. "I need you to take care of Ali for me. She doesn't always know how to ask for help, but that doesn't mean she doesn't need it. Do you understand?"

He blinked like a clueless puppy. He had never taken care of someone else in his entire life, not even a pet, and he didn't have the faintest idea on how to do so. He was hardly sure if he could at all.

He searched the old lady's droopy, gentle eyes and wondered if she was aware of his disorder. A second later, as if she had eavesdropped on his thoughts, she gave him a reassuring smile. "Yes, dear, Ali told me about your mental condition. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I think as long as you care for my granddaughter as much as she cares for you, then nothing else matters."

His heart swelled with appreciation and respect for the elderly woman. He knew how much Ali treasured her grandmother's opinion, and he was relieved to know that they had her blessing. More than that, he felt honored.

"I promise I'll take care of Alice," Sawyer swore to her, fiery determination dancing in his dark irises, and she smiled brightly.

"I wish you two the very best then."