9. Conversations

"What is wrong Veronica. I've spent too many moons with you, I can tell when there is something upsetting you," Luke explains as he guides me to the dance floor.

  "Am I really that transparent? Great..." I reply keeping a happy mask on for the Ton, "I guess I am just overwhelmed," I briefly explain before beginning the waltz.

"Care to elaborate? I mean I do not mean to overstep but you can trust me with anything Veronica. You will always carry a special place in my heart,"

  "I guess I just do not believe I am the right person to have the diamond of the season title, I feel way to well... unladylike or fake I guess,"

  "If the queen chose you to be the diamond she did it for a reason Veronica. I know it's hard for you to see it but to the outside eye you are perfect; your manners, your smile, your appearance, your etiquette... everything about you is perfect," Luke explains before he spins me in perfect unison causing ohs and awes from the crowd.

  "Yeah maybe, I am alright at putting on a show I guess," I smile.

  "Now I wouldn't say that I would have ever expected this from you. I mean the last time we met we were both up to more mischief than I have been in my whole life... well that may be a stretch but you get the point. I remember us playing all sorts of games in the courtyards and to be frank you would always ruthlessly kick ass. I never thought you would turn into this beautiful swan but you have done more than this. Not to mention your perfection in the eye of the Ton, you have something all the other girls are lacking, a deep rooted personality,"

  "How do you always know what to say to make me feel better?"

  "Years of experience I guess," He chuckles, "But I still am getting this dire feeling that there is something else bothering you. Not just the pressure in which the queen has placed upon you,"

  "Well you can always see right through me can you, so I guess i'm not getting out of this one..."

  "It's ok if you don't wish to share, you have no obligation to but just know i'm here,"

  "Well I guess it would be nice to get off my chest, but you cannot tell a soul... not yet anyhow,"

  "Well what is it?"

  "My mother is sick. Not just sick with the common cold or from partying too much but really sick. I had my family call for a doctor this afternoon after I saw her cough up blood, I knew from my studies that this could be fatal and well my worries came to life. It was decided that she only has a few months to live, and until she does pass she must stay bed ridden,"

  "Veronica I am so sorry? What are you doing here then, why aren't you at home with your mother?"

  "She wanted me to come tonight. She is fixated on the idea of me finding love and following through with it before she passes. She was so adamant about my attendance because I told her that a man has caught just a sliver of my attention. But it seems my thoughts might have just been delusions because he has not made an effort to introduce himself to my family at all. Maybe it was just me being gullible or something,"

  "So you have a love interest as well? Who is the man, I mean if someone is to marry one of my closest friends I must know who the bachelor is,"

  "I don't know if I should tell you who the man is quite yet. I have already shared more than I intended to tonight,"

  "Well what harm can I do. I am not going to be the one to tell you no just for finance ability like your father and brother. I will just give my honest opinion of the man and maybe even help you out if i'm in terms with the suitor,"