Chapter X: Rex Lapis, Morax

I knew it'd work...heheh.

Tartaglia fell to the ground, breathing heavily from the suffering his body went through. He looked to the black sky, glimmering glitter in the vastness of it all.

"Xiao. I didn't expect you to be here."

Zhongli retracted the Vanquisher.

"Had I not intervened, the Harbinger's corpse would've been before me."

"And why did you? Are you rebelling against me, or perhaps... you've made a certain judgement that I've overlooked?"

Xiao stood in front of Tartaglia and caressed his Yaksha mask, dissipating in the wind. His solemn expression lacked the same ferocity it had when he squared off with Tartaglia, but the tint of sorrow was more noticeable than ever.

"If it weren't evident enough, the Harbinger didn't intend to steal the Gnosis from you."

Xiao turned momentarily to glance upon the weakened Harbinger. Instead of exhaustion gripping Tartaglia's face, a tender smirk was all that he wore.

You wanted this, didn't you?

The Conqueror of Demons returned his gaze to Zhongli.

"He came to you on his own accord and summoned no reinforcements throughout the fight. Even until now, when defeat was imminent. This isn't right either, Zhongli. Our endless years of bloodshed must end. No more killing of humans."

"What pushed you to intervene then, even though these are matters that didn't concern you?"

Xiao's heart wept as he knew he wouldn't be able to profess his love. It would only be right to support the one that went through thick and thin to reclaim his true love.

"My duty as an Adeptus, as well as the contract we agreed upon stated that I must defend Liyue from all threats. However, after careful examination..."

Fingers stroked the caramel hair of the sapphire-eyed Harbinger.

"The Harbinger poses no threat to Liyue, and to you as well. Your contract with him entailed that you'd end his life, should he be defeated. But his reward for victory was more harmless than your reward. Isn't that enough proof that he's not here as a purloiner of the Gnosis, but a purloiner of your heart?"

A single tear streaked his face, disbelief wracking him.

"He has fought countless times as he pursued you, day and night cycling repeatedly. Would it be so hard to simply, forgive him?"

Zhongli dropped to his knees, more tears streaming from his eyes.

"No... forgive me, Childe..."

He cupped Childe's hands with his and held them close to his chest. Childe only beamed as the droplets trickled onto his gloved hands.

"All this while...I've wrongly accused you. I've put you through so much pain... I'm so... Childe..."

He stroked Childe's hands with his thumbs as he cupped them- remorse tearing him apart from inside.

"It's alright. I never came here unprepared either way, so I was never going to lose anyway hahaha..."

Xiao looked away to stop envy from parading through his heart.

"Well then Zhongli, it's only right to end this here. Admit your defeat and end the contract."

"I've lost to you, Childe. You're already receiving your reward anyway."

Childe snickered just a little. Zhongli started removing his gloves and Childe's gloves, the warm sensation of his palm met with Childe's soft palm. Their fingers interlaced one another and all the worries in Childe were washed away.