45

I watched her every move as she disappeared into the kitchen. Julian sat next to me, close enough if I needed him, but not touching.

Elena appeared with two glasses of water, and set them down on the coffee table in front of us before she excused herself for a moment. I was about to reach out to grab one because my throat was so dry that it hurt, but Julian grabbed my hand before I could and shook his head.

I frowned and looked behind me to make sure she wasn't back, before asking. "Why?"

"What if it's poisoned?" He asked and I rolled my eyes. He smiled slightly. "I'm serious, you barely know her."

Just in case he was right, I decided to listen. I never knew with anyone these days.

Elena appeared again from where she'd disappeared into the kitchen; a small smile on her lips as her eyes instantly drifted to where I was. The whole place seemed more like an apartment than a single room for one person. I was surprised at seeing the place because it looked nothing like the rest of the building. The walls were white but absent of decoration. The entire place seemed contemporary and modern. Natural light streamed in through the windows that covered one side of the small living room, and it felt cozy in a way. I wanted a place similar to it in the future.

"How did you know I was coming?" I asked, deciding to get straight to the point.

She took a seat on the couch across from us. "Olivia Adler gave me a call a few hours ago," my eyes widened and she shook her head. "Don't worry, she made sure no one knew. She told me that Sophia's younger sister was coming to visit me so I could open the door for you."

I swallowed hard. "You're my mom's sister?"

Elena nodded and I noticed the necklace around her neck for the first time. There was a silver ring attached to it. "Freya was my twin."

I studied her for a few moments. "Everyone told me you were her younger sister."

She let herself relax against the couch. "Yes, I know."

I waited for an explanation, but realized she wasn't going to give me one. I awkwardly shifted on the couch and glanced over at Julian, who was watching her warily as if he felt like something was off.

I averted my gaze and looked back at her. Before I could speak, Elena started with a light glint that looked an awful lot like awe in her eyes as she watched me. "You look just like Sophia. If I didn't know better, I would've mistaken you as her."

I blinked. "She's my sister." Wasn't it obvious that I'd look like her?

Elena shrugged. "Half."

I frowned. "What?"

Elena raised her eyebrows. "Elijah still hasn't told you?" She questioned, the surprise audible in her soft voice. I watched her cautiously, bracing myself. She studied me with a quizzical expression on her face before she responded.

"Sophia and Kaiden are my children."

I blinked. "No."

Elena laughed quietly, her eyes sparkling as she kept them on me. "Isabella, I think I would know my own children. Why would I lie about this?"

I waited for her to take it back. Moments passed and I was met with nothing but silence. When I slowly looked over to glance at Julian, he was watching her with slight surprise.

I realized she was telling the truth.

The blood drained from my face. "W-what? I don't – I don't understand."

It couldn't be. How was it possible?

Elena reached forward to grab her own glass of water, letting it rest in between her hands as she stared down at it. "It's true."