Chapter 17: Nightlights and Face-Frosting

Keeley's POV

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

"I'll be fine, Brady. Don't worry about me," I told him in what I hoped was a reassuring way.

"Keeley, don't act like everything is fine. Tomorrow is-" I abruptly cut him off.

"I'm well aware of what tomorrow is, Brady. I don't need you to remind me." I felt bad for being so harsh and snapping at him, but what I said was true. I don't need to be reminded that tomorrow marks two years since the worst day of my life.

Tomorrow is December 13th, exactly ten days after my birthday, and this year, two years after he took me. Last year was terrible, all I really remember from that day is the violent puking and the constant fear he would find me again. This year was different, though. I was with my family, in my home, in my own bed. He couldn't reach me here, or at least that's what I was telling myself.

He was quiet on the phone and I could hear his heavy breathing. No doubt he was frustrated with me, I told him he couldn't stay over and he couldn't control a damn thing that was going to happen.

"Look, I'm sorry for snapping. I just don't want to talk about it," I whispered into the phone.

"I know, Sweetness. I'll let you go and try to get some sleep. If you need me, promise you'll call, okay?" he spoke softly.

"I will, Brady. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Sweetness. I love you."

I smiled to myself. "Ditto."

I hung up the phone and looked out my bedroom window. No light was reflected onto the lawn, so I could tell everybody had gone to bed. Gus slept heavily in his plush bed by the door. No matter how many times I tried to move his bed closer to mine, he would end up dragging it right back over there, forever my protector.

Already dreading tomorrow, I turned off my bedside lamp and snuggled deeper under my covers. My body was tired but my mind was wide awake. I wouldn't tell anybody, but I'm terrified of what is going to come in my dreams, and more importantly, of what is going to come when the sun rises.

I'm not sure how long I laid there, my eyes deadset on the door, but eventually, my mind shut down and I fell asleep.

***

The sound of my screams echoed off of the concrete walls as he dragged the knife deeper and further down the length of my left side. His brown eyes darkened as he slowed to a stop and pulled the knife out of my skin. My body sagged in relief to the best of its ability as my arms were still shackled to the ceiling.

He stepped back and gave me a sickening smile before wiping off the blood on his knife with a thin rag he took from his pocket.

"Well, I guess it's quite obvious we won't be getting anything out of you today. So try not to bleed out and I'll see you soon." He sounded like nothing out of the ordinary had happened, like he didn't just slice the side of my body with a knife. He turned and began to walk carelessly towards the metal door across the room. And before I could shut my mouth, the words were already out.

"Why are you doing this, Adrik?" my voice croaked hoarsely. Besides screaming, I haven't spoken except when addressed since I've been here.

My question froze him in his steps as his shoulders went ridged. He turned his head over his shoulder to look at me, and I didn't recognize him. The light coming through the door had cast a shadow across his chiseled jaw and dark eyes, making him look more deadly than I remember him ever looking. His hair clung to the side of his face with sweat and his chest fell heavier with every breath he took.