Chapter Six

C O N N O R
• • •

        I grunted when I messed up my locker combination for the third time in a row, and leaned down to place my books on the floor before reaching up to try opening it once again. School had ended about 10 minutes ago, so thankfully the halls were peacefully empty.

But part of me knew this was too good to be true.

Before I could even fully react, I felt someone grab my shoulder and aggressively spin me around, balling the front of my shirt in their fists and slamming me backwards into the lockers. I coughed and winced at the harsh impact, then saw Bruce's snarling face in front of my own. Still startled, I probably looked really scared.

"Tell your little bitch to knock it the fuck off," his voice was low and threatening as he kept me pinned against the lockers, bruises probably already forming beneath my skin.

"W-what are you talking about-" he cut me off by bringing me back from the lockers a little but and then slamming me into them again. I winced and tried to glare at him, but I still just probably looked scared.

"You know what the hell I'm talking about. If he keeps playing big-tough-body-guard, it's just gonna get worse for you, fag," he spat, and I tried to make the subtle stinging in my eyes go away as I kept trying to pull him off of me, to no avail. "Got it?"

I nodded, but he just pushed me into the lockers harder, causing me to let out a pained grunt as my shoulder blades felt as thought they were being crushed inwards by the metal. He glared at me harder, his black eye and the other marks left from Jake just made him look even more menacing.

"If you don't want him to get mad then you probably shouldn't bruise me up," I got out, despite my crushed lungs. I could see him realize I was right, but not move his arms due to his stubbornness.

I saw some movement from down the hall, and turned my head slightly to see none other than Lucas turn the corner. A confused, concerned expression flashed across his features when he saw us, but I looked back at Bruce when he started speaking again.

"Well look at that, your boyfriend's here," he mused and ripped me from the lockers to shove me down onto the ground, my books spilling across the tile. My face had never felt hotter than it had right then. I was mortified. My breathing felt so restricted.

"Why don't you pick on someone your own size, asshole," Lucas cut in when he got to us, and I almost felt tears come to my eyes at how embarrassed I was.

"The pixie and the alien, how sweet," Bruce gave him an ill-intentioned smirk, and Lucas's eyes narrowed slightly. He looked so calm, though, like he knew he was in control of the situation somehow. It was honestly more chilling than Bruce's threats. When I finally gathered all my books again, I stood up in the middle of the two of them.

"I'd threaten you, but I don't enjoy hurting people that are weaker than me," Lucas told him, and Bruce let out a small laugh.

"I'm not gonna let you bait me into fighting you just cuz you think you're big," Bruce snarled, but Lucas just shrugged and looked down at his hands.

"I didn't ask you to. I'd actually prefer you not to, since I like these rings and I'm not really in the mood to clean your blood off of them today," he responded casually and then looked back up at him. My eyes widened a little at his boldness.