Chapter 34

Edits by Vesper

When the regimental commander's wife finished listening, she immediately smiled and poked on Tang Tang's forehead, "Ah, why are you so stupid? Isn't it very obvious!"

"Eh?" Tang Tang let out a sound before asking, "Sao Zi, you know the reason?"

The regimental commander's wife was displeased, "How can I not know? It's so obvious. Ji Yan was clearly angry that Zhang Cheng's wife didn't take you seriously. Basically, he was angry for you."

"Ah? Why?" Tang Tang blanked.

The regimental commander's wife truly liked Tang Tang because she was pure, naïve, and good-tempered. Also, she was sincere and innocent which was rarely seen in adults, and it made others want to get close to her unconsciously. But good-tempered people like her sometimes made others feel helpless. That was because she didn't understand other women's little schemes.

Knowing that Tang Tang really didn't understand, the regimental commander's wife could only carefully explain to her, "Last night, when you went to help, Zhang Cheng's wife didn't do anything apart from peeling some garlic. It was like she was the guest. Also, during the meal, you were busy in the kitchen while she was drinking with others at the table. It was like you helping her was something normal. No matter what, she should have given you a hand in the kitchen. Furthermore, shouldn't it be the owner who should clean up at the end, not you doing the cleaning alone. You were a guest. That was impolite. If it were me, I would have fallen out with her on the spot. You're too nice to be bothered about it."

"Ah ... so it was for that reason ...." Tang Tang suddenly understood and mumbled, "To be honest, I didn't mind and I felt she wasn't really being impolite with me but more of she really didn't know how to do anything. She couldn't help out much and she did drink a lot afterwards so I didn't think it was strange. After all, we're neighbours so it's not too good if we're picky about everything."

The regimental commander's wife sighed, "Your temper is too good. I think it's right for Ji Yan to be angry. He has good self-restraint though. If it were someone who had bad self-restraint, they would have made a scene if their wife was being ordered around! For this matter, if Ji Yan wasn't angry then he isn't a real man. It's only natural for a husband to care about his wife."

Tang Tang went silent. Ji Yan was angry for her? He cared for her ...

The regimental commander's wife patted Tang Tang's hand, "Listen to Ji Yan. Don't simply agree if she asks for your help again. She wasn't right. It doesn't matter if she doesn't cook, but her attitude was wrong. She should have stayed in the kitchen and kept you company. It's not that Sao Zi is trying to sow discord, but Zhang Cheng's wife is arrogant. Normal people won't enter her eyes. If they did, she would have taken care of them properly."

Tang Tang understood the deeper meaning of those words. Zhang Cheng's wife looked down on her. That was why she was impolite with her.

"But... But why does she look down on me? Is it because I don't look good? Or because I don't have a job?"

The regimental commander's wife shook her head, "It's not what you think. Don't think she's just a teacher. Her status is different from us. She is like a real princess. Her father is a general and her uncle is a city mayor, all her family has high positions. As for herself, she is a graduate from Harvard University so her personality is a bit prideful. She's only here because of Zhang Cheng, otherwise, she wouldn't be willing to live here.

"It's like that, ah..." Tang Tang didn't expect Zhang Cheng's wife to have such an amazing background. It was no wonder she was like that.

"But no matter what, you don't need to fawn over her. Ji Yan relies on his ability and his future prospects aren't any worse than Zhang Cheng. Since she looks down on you, there is no need for you to rush and help them. You should help those that are your genuine friends, what do you think?"