CHAPTER 3

"Scotch on rocks." Mariana barked at the human bartender polishing glasses at the bar. Impatiently her fingers drummed against the counter. Fancy-ass champagne no longer cut it. This was fucking serious. 

Eyes narrowed - she assessed the situation. Groups of werewolves flanked every exit. Her darling brother had ensured she wouldn't as much as sneeze without someone noticing. The large hall was filled to brim with enforcers dressed as party guests. She was stared at so intensely even some of human guests got disturbed. 

Her wolf was pacing in her head and she was seconds from doing the same and looking even more of a lunatic than she already did. As if the ill fitted pink dress wasn't enough. Of course, she could break through one of the windows and run for the hills - plan that included a couple stroke struck humans and total train wreck of a wedding. 

No. She could never do that to Sophia. The girl was still clueless, happily accepting wedding gifts without a single suspicion of what the better part of her family was plotting. 

Inwardly, Mariana scoffed. It's so like dad not to give a shit about ruining his own daughter's wedding. As long as he was up Alpha Tylor's ass - it's all good. 

"I was wondering what the fuss was about." A smooth, deep voice - rudely - interrupted her thoughts. Frowning, Mariana tore her attention from batch of bulky guards to the source of the pleasing sound. 

She nearly choked on her liquor. 

Holy-

A man stood leaning against the bar, observing her with a crooked - and very sexy - half-smile. His one hand was thrust into the front pocket of his navy blue trousers while the other held a glass of champagne. 

His features looked like they were carved from marble - razor sharp jawline, cheekbones for days, and perfectly shaped everything else. Charming dimple sat on the corner of his mouth where his lips were tilted upwards. 

She liked to think that no man had enough testosterone to appease her. He did. Hell - he fucking did. 

His auburn hair slicked back, his eyes pair of smokey ambers - he carried himself with the type of confidence only a man with his looks and status could afford. Worth noting - that only Alpha could afford. 

Mariana fixed the hunky stranger a fierce glare. "Pardon?" 

"I wanted to see who is the rogue that has become the hot topic around here. I am certainly not disappointed." He gave her a not-very-subtle once over. 

Her blood went from simmer to boil in a second. Cocky guys like him always had that effect on her. Only this time, a fairly large part of her found him ridiculously attractive. 

She had met most Alphas and Alphas-to-be when she still lived with the pack. This handsome guy was not on the list. No matter how much she strained her memory, she did not recall seeing him before. But he was definitely an Alpha. There was no mistaking the air of authority and power around him. 

Doesn't matter. 

"Charming." Mariana remarked sarcastically, focusing her attention elsewhere. 

Not for long. 

"It was a compliment." The man stepped closer. "My name is Caleb. What is your name? Or do you prefer me calling you rogue." 

The corner of her mouth twitched in annoyance. Suspicion heavy eyes drifted back to the smirking man who had positioned himself right besides her. Zero sense of personal space, got it. 

"What do you want?" Mariana took a step back, bumping against the bar counter. Alpha's didn't usually bother talking to rogues. Their preferred communication method with those like her was usually a swift - or torturous - execution. But this guy was all out flirting. This got to be a set-up. Yup. A trap.