chapter 1

Kara Danvers dropped unceremoniously on her couch, a whole box of fresh donuts held tightly against her chest, her button shirt half open and disheveled, exposing the symbol of the House of El on the superhero suit underneath; a sullen expression plastered on her face.

She sighed heavily and proceeded to decimate the innocent sugary goods inside the box, her frown deepening with each bite.

Lena was gone, away on a business trip to Ireland for a week. It wasn't that long, really, but Kara was so used to being with Lena almost every day for the past two months that she was left feeling anxious and antsy.

It was silly of her, she knew, but she couldn't stop feeling that way. Besides, their conversation over the fact that Kara couldn't visit her in Ireland didn't ease the feeling in her gut, nor did the knowledge that Lena was hiding something from her.

"All ready?" Kara forced a smile on her face as she surveyed the three pieces of luggage, flabbergasted. She would only be gone for a week. What could she possibly need three full bags for?

Kara heard Lena's low chuckle as if reading her mind. The shorter woman hugged her from behind, arms wrapping around her waist, and kissed her between the shoulder blades.

"I'm a Luthor, Kara," Lena said, resting her chin on her shoulder, her voice full of mirth. "Luthor women are not allowed to travel without at least three big pieces of luggage – it's considered heresy. I'm already considered the family's rebel for always taking the minimum required with me."

Kara chuckled and tilted her head, so it would touch Lena's, seeking the comfort she couldn't bring herself to voice.

"I'm going to miss you," Kara whispered, her eyes closed.

Lena sighed and pulled her closer.

"I wish I didn't have to go," Lena whispered back, "but it's important. It's been scheduled for months." Lena kissed her shoulder. "If I don't go now..."

"I understand." Kara forced a smile back up as she turned in her girlfriend's embrace so that she could hug her back. "I could visit you." her voice sounded hopeful, almost questioning.

But Kara read the answer in Lena's eyes before the CEO had a chance to voice it, the pang of disappointment and insecurity hammering in her chest.

"No, Kara, you can't," Lena replied, her voice steady and warm.

"But Lena, I could get there in like 30 minutes and..."

"Sweetheart, you're needed here. The crime rate from both humans and aliens is going through the roof since the invasion, not to mention the increase in anti-alien protests. National City needs you close and available."

Kara knew she would lose this argument the moment Lena touched her face, her green eyes steady and unwavering; a CEO's look that conveyed her position was non-negotiable. Still, she had to try.

"The DEO is based here, Lena. J'onn is here. I--"

"Kara," Lena's other hand joined on the other side of her face, thumbs gently stroking her cheeks, "we can handle being apart for a week, sweetie. It's not the first time."

"Well, technically it is," Kara replied, her pout already in place. "It's the first time since we... Since we started dating."

Lena's eyes softened.  "You're right, it is, but it's only for a few days, and we'll have to get used to this sooner or later because, between my business travels and your escapades to Earth 1, we'll be away from each other a lot." Lena gave her a sweet smile.