Ch. 4 Visiting the Dead

Book Cover Credit: https://mobile.twitter.com/Qing11502143

Please ★ (Star) this Chapter if you enjoy reading and give some feedback! That would really help! ❤

Warning: Explicit language and spoilers! Read till the end!

"Harbinger Tartaglia...that fucker...well, haven't you heard? He murdered a whole village on a killing spree! They say there wasn't a single trace of remorse on his face as the last body thudded onto the floor. What a monster, people like him should be punished by the Seven Archons and banished to a place worse than hell."

    "Childe..."

    Childe stirred, the back of his aching as he shut his eyes tightly, curling onto his left side.

    "Childe!" A deep voice boomed as Childe groggily opened his eyes, peeking through the sunshine to see Zhongli looming above him.

    "Are you alright?" Zhongli asked Childe, propping him up by the bedframe. "Your face was in pain, but you didn't have a fever, so-"

    "Thank you, Zhongli, I'm fine," Childe replied, sluggish as he took a good look at Zhongli's face. He reached one hand to caress the side, brushing his amber ombre bangs to the side. Childe wondered if the love in the world had run out for someone like him. Could someone as powerful as Zhongli love him? Would Zhongli be able to love him even after learning what he had done in the past and the present? Why did he choose to stick by his side in this contract they formed years ago?

    "Ah," Zhongli said, taken aback as he looked at Childe.

    Childe, breaking out of his train of thought, immediately retracted his hand from Zhongli, putting it on the side of his neck instead. What was he thinking just now?

    "I'm sorry. My hand moved on its own. The truth is, I was having a nightmare where my sins came back to haunt me. You know, the classic horror story of souls of the dead coming back to curse you." Childe pushed back the covers and swung his legs to the opposite side of where Zhongli was standing. "As they should, I suppose. And you should know what the Fatui does is no good business-"

    "I know," Zhongli said over Childe. "I understand the conditions I'm putting myself through. Your concern is valid, but you know Childe, I am no better than you if you think of yourself so lowly. I, too, am in this contract for my benefit. You should know that as well."

    Childe looked away, trying to ease the uneasiness within him. He tried to imagine what Zhongli had in store for him to be exchanging his powers for the rest of his life. Then again, Zhongli didn't specify how long that timeframe was going to be. With Childe's job, he could die at any moment, not without a fight, but he could. Maybe Zhongli knew the day he would come to a premature end. He and Zhongli had just finished collecting the week's debt and had four days before the next assignment that was going to be a big one. One about a Gnosis, perhaps.

    Childe grabbed his shirt from the nightstand and put it on. Zhongli was at his side every morning till night. Ever since Zhongli became his advisor, Childe never received a single scratch from battle. He envied the Geo element, which never failed to provide inexorable shields. Today, Childe thought he'd have a change of pace. An exciting one, at that.

    "Hey, Zhongli Xian-sheng," Childe began as he grabbed Zhongli by the tie and pulled him close. "Why don't we have another spar today? You and I."

    Zhongli brushed Childe's hands-off calmly and straightened his tie.

    "Whatever you wish."