Chapter #27 - Dex

Chapter #27 - Dex

"You WHAT?!"

"I'm sorry."

Dex shot his brother a furious expression. "You keep saying that, but if you were really sorry, you would've actually LISTENED  to me! Don't you remember what I said about faking abilities? About guilt?" His voice was firmer than it had ever been before, but Dex hoped Rex could also hear the empathy in his tone.

He looked at Rex's hand, where small sparks of electricity were still coming out. Now that he knew it was a gadget, it became clear there was something small and brown taped to his skin where the sparks were originating.

"You used a piece from my Sense Blasters didn't you?" realized Dex. When Rex nodded remorsefully, he took a step back, "Those things don't even work properly! Councillor Zarina fried the circuit and they almost got Fitz killed!"

"Wait— really?" He frantically looked back and forth between Dex and his wrist, eventually yanking off the electric gadget.

Rex looked up at his older brother.

"You have to fix it so the circuit isn't fried."

Dex couldn't believe how determined he was. "I can't do that, Rex. I thought you understood but... I guess not."

All of a sudden, the two brothers heard talking coming from a few rooms over. They clammed up— though Dex gave Rex a meaningful glance, signifying they weren't done talking— and pressed their heads against the door of the alchemy closet.

"It's been so long since we've talked one-on-one, Eda," he heard Juline's voice say. He could also hear the faint sound of Bex and Lex ensuing who-knows-what chaos.

"I know," Edaline's voice replied. "How's Dex doing with... everything?"

"He's been acting a little strange," Juline admitted, "Rex too, actually. I think something's up— and it might have something to do with all the teasing Rex's been getting recently." She sighed. "I just wish things were better."

"I think we all do," murmured Edaline, like she was deep in thought. After a moment, the silence was broken by her sister.

"Things have been crazy but... I'm glad I joined the Black Swan. Hopefully, we'll be able to make things right."

Rex shifted his position, like he'd just had a striking thought.

"What is it?" Dex inquired quietly.

"Nothing."

"Well..." sighed Edaline from the other room, "I should get going. Grady just sent a message— he has something important to tell me at Havenfield."

"As a matter of fact, it looks like I got the same message as well."

"Hmmm, I wonder what it's about."

The voices of the two sisters faded away.

Dex suddenly thought to check his imparter, and found the same message as to what his mom and Edaline were describing. Clearly, Grady was inviting them for something important. Though he had no idea what.

"I have to go," he said, beginning to step out of their burrow. But before he did—

"I'm sorry for this."

Then he crushed the piece of the Sense Blaster with his foot. "It's the only way to make sure you don't use it again."

Rex's face fell, and he looked so helpless, so hopeless, it was hard not to go and piece it together again just to make him happy.

"Dex?" he asked. The Dizznee Technopath turned around for the last time. "Do you think I could join the Black Swan?"

He was shocked by the words.

Rex added, "Mom thinks you might be able to make things right." Dex couldn't help but feel a bit surprised by how he said 'you'— he knew he was part of the Black Swan, but he had always thought of him and his friends as... separate.

And he had never considered any of the triplets wanting to join...

"Maybe," Dex said, stepping into the light. But the truth was, the idea of pulling his siblings into all that danger felt like inhaling a muskog.

He was sure Rex could tell too.

Dex really didn't want his brother to join the Black Swan.