A Parking Lot and an Ambulance

Lilah

Kayla<3: hey! just letting you know in advance that I'm coming over and I'll be there in about 15, cya then :)

My mind flashed back to when I was driving out of the school parking lot. I know what she's doing, and I know that it's not just Kayla coming over. She knows I'm not ready to face him! I've been trying my hardest to avoid him all day so I wouldn't let anything slip.

The sound of the door opening and closing rang through the house. She said 15! It is way too early and I'm not ready to see him yet. "Lilah!!" Catherine yelled. "Sam's here!"

Sam? Just then, an idea came into my head. I can't talk to him if I'm not home... I ran out into the kitchen, and Sam was sitting at the table with a smile on his face.

"Hey! It's been so long!" He greeted.

"Yeah it has. We should go for ice cream or something." I suggested.

"Oh okay. Yeah, that sounds fun."

"Be home before dinner." Catherine said as she walked into the kitchen.

"Sounds good. Come on, let's go." I grabbed his wrist and pulled him out the door.

"What's got you in such a hurry?" He asked, as I dragged him though the café.

"I'm just really craving ice cream." That technically wasn't a lie... it just wasn't the whole truth.

"Okay, then." He chuckled, and we got into the car. I was driving away before he even had his seatbelt on.

"Okay... Seriously. What's the actual hurry?" He raised his eyebrows at me and smirked once he had buckled his seatbelt.

"Okay, so I might be avoiding someone." The smirk that was previously on his face dropped. "Of course I'm not using you as a way out. I'm actually pretty excited to hang out with you right now. You just happened to come at a convenient time."

"Right..." He mumbled. I tried to give him a reassuring smile but it didn't seem to work. We pulled into the parking lot of the shop and we both got out of the car, not saying a word. The little bell chimed when we walked in and the scent of vanilla filled the air, automatically raising my mood.

I ran up to the counter and looked at all the different flavors of ice cream. I heard Sam chuckle at my childishness. My normal flavor would be mint chocolate chip but that's what I got last time I came here with Finn and he is the last thing I want to think about right now. So, instead I wanted to try something different. I decided on strawberry cheesecake. Sam chose boring vanilla. No offense to all the vanilla lovers.

Once we we're seated at the pink and blue booths, I dug right into my ice cream. Sam laughed and when I looked up he had an amused expression on his face. "Hey. Don't judge."

"Okay, continue." He said, humor still laced into his voice. I responded with a glare. "So... How are you doing after the uh... whole Michael thing."

"Better." I stated, not mentioning the PTSD I had been experiencing.

"That's it? Just better? Lilah, you don't have to lie to me. No one could take what you went through so easily." He tried to get me to open up to him, but it just didn't feel right. It was almost as if I wished I was sitting across from Finn talking about this instead. No, don't think about Finn right now. "Hello?" A hand waved in front of my face.

"Sorry.. Just thinking." I said avoiding eye contact.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked softly.

"Just how different it's been at school." I lied. "It just kind of seems like I'm the topic of everyone's conversation, and everyone's eyes are on me everywhere I go."