Chapter 26: The Lone Wolf's Tale Pt. 1

This is part one of a special two-part chapter that is written in third person POV!

***

The little boy knew his father wasn't going to return home when he heard his mother weep through the cracks of his parents' door.

"Vincent Jude Romero!" Vincent could hear Íngrid, his mother's right-hand woman and close friend, calling his name from down the hall. But his mother's soft, melodic cries tuned out Íngrid's squeaky, high-pitched shouts.

"There you are!" His ears twitched at her footsteps, seemingly determined, storming his way. When her footsteps ceased, he felt the body heat of another warming his skin. He didn't need to turn to know it was her. Her figure was towering over the left side of his body.

Íngrid sighed. "Vincent, amor. . . I thought I told you not to go anywhere."

Vincent balled his little fingers into fists, looking down at the floor.

He ran off the first chance he got when she let go of his hand. He knew he shouldn't have left her side. But his mother's cries were too powerful to ignore. So powerful, his chest ached with mourn for news that hadn't been confirmed yet.

"Sorry," he murmured.

"It's okay. Just don't do it again, alright? Let's leave your mother for now." She reached for his hand and guided him away from the door. He glanced back at it, the gears in his little brain making him wonder.

Should he have checked on his mother? Was it okay for them to leave her alone when she was clearly in pain? He didn't know what was the right thing to do. After all, there wasn't much a seven-year-old could do to bring comfort to his mom, in the wake of losing a mate.

"Okay," he murmured again, taking Íngrid's hand.

"The other pups have been looking for you. They like playing with you, you know? You should go play with them. Mommy promises to have a discussion with you soon, okay?"

Vincent nodded, regardless, he knew what she was trying to do. It was the same thing most adults did when they were talking to other children within the packs. But he was smarter than she treated him. He wished she would have realized that.

Vincent stopped, sliding his hand out of hers. "Where's my dad? He's not coming back, is he?" Íngrid's movements slowed until she stopped too, her smile falling from her face.

She hesitated before she asked, "Vincent, why do you say that?"

"He promised he would be back before the short hand moved to one. The short hand is on four now. Mommy won't stop crying. And daddy isn't back yet." Vincent pointed to a clock.

The round, brown device sat on a wall ahead of them. Its smallest hand was moving at a pace that was slow and agonizing. Íngrid had made it clear that she was unsure of how to proceed with the topic. Her mouth opened and closed, despair leaking from her silence.

It was only an hour ago Valor had received the news that their alpha, Alonso, was shot down at close-range by two men hunting in the area. The bullet severed his stomach; his men were unable to make it back through the woods without Alonso's wound bleeding out.

But the few who knew, including Mariana, mourned in silence until it was time to relay the news to the pack; Valor no longer had an alpha. A pack without an alpha was a pack without guidance. Those without guidance were set for failure, unless someone filled Alonso's place. Unfortunately, Vincent was far too young to take his father's place. He hadn't even experienced his first shift yet.

"Vincent. . ." Íngrid hesitated again. "I think it's best that you wait and hear what your mother has to say," she settled with.

Vincent knew that was code for he was right. But he didn't push his luck. Íngrid wasn't going to tell him what he wanted to hear, only his mother would do so. He'd just have to be a patient little wolf-pup and wait. So, he sighed, and bowed his head.