Chapter 25

Sophia’s POV

 I felt like I was floating on a cloud…well a cloud that was anchored by a very strong arm.   Knox tightened his arm, drawing me closer to his body.  After experiencing one of the best nights of my life, I was briefly waking up surrounded by my mate.   It was pure heaven.

 Alpha, Luna

 Grunting, Knox rolled over onto his back, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

 What is it Alex?

 Alpha, rogues have been spotted crossing the north border.   The warriors are heading out.

 I’m coming.

 Leaning over Knox kissed my cheek.  “Go back to bed sweetheart, I will be back shortly.”

 “Okay.  I love you and be careful.”

 Chuckling, Knox headed out leaving me to snuggle into his pillow, inhaling his scent.   God that man smelled good.   A smile graced my lips as I drifted back off to sleep.

I was standing in a yard next to a small cabin.   It was springtime and the birds were chirping.   It was so peaceful and beautiful here.   

 A car pulled into the dirt driveway and a woman got out and opened the back door.   She removed something from the back seat before closing the door.   When the woman straightened up, she held a tiny baby in her arms and then proceeded to head up towards the house.   As she got closer her face became recognizable.   It was my mother.  

 A very young version of my mother, but none the less still my mother.   I called out her name and ran up to her.   I haven’t seen my mother since she died when I was in college.   She looked so beautiful and I just wanted to hug her.. 

 As I reached her, she still had yet to acknowledge me.   It was like she couldn’t hear me even though I stood right next to her.  She walked on, oblivious to my presence.    As we approached the house she opened the door and walked in, yelling a hello and we are finally here. 

 We entered into a large open family room/kitchen.  Sitting at the table was an older woman, smiling as she looked up.  

 “Daughter you have finally come.   I am so excited to finally meet my precious granddaughter.  Come let me look at her.”

 Staring at the woman, who I assumed was my grandmother, she smiled at my mother.   It dawned on me that the child in her arms was me.   Huh, okay weird. 

 “Mother it is so good to see you.   I would like to introduce you to your 2 month old granddaughter Sophia.”

 Tears lined the eyes of the older woman.   Their reunion was bittersweet as they hugged.  As the older woman took the child into her arms, a white light began to shine, blinding the room.

 Crying out, she collapsed to the floor, the woman protecting the child as they fell.   As the light began to recede, my grandmother gasped in shock as she took in the eyes of the child…they were glowing brightly violet.

 Yup, definitely me.

 “Mother, what was that?   Is there something wrong with Sophia?”  My mother sounded frantic as she reached for the baby. 

 My grandmother began to pace as she muttered to herself.   As she calmed down she waived for my mother to take a seat in the chair.

 “Listen closely daughter.   As you know magic speaks to magic and when I held Sophia, the magic within her shined brightly.   This little baby is extremely powerful, therefore in danger.   As she ages, her power will grow.   I am afraid that I cannot keep her safe.   My vision tells me that she will not live past the age of 7.   I am so sorry I wish there was something I could do.”

 “Mother that is not acceptable.   What do you mean she is in danger…by whom?”

 “When a soul possess that much power or magic, others will be drawn to it, seek it out.   Some will want to control it and others will want to destroy it.   In my vision, they destroy it…I am sorry child.”

 “No, no, no…not happening.   This is my daughter, I will not sit by and let her be hunted until she is killed.   There must be something that we can do.   Anything mother…think, please I beg you.”

 My grandmother began to pace again.  “The only solution I can offer is to bind her powers, in essence locking away part of her soul.   She would in theory be completely human.   Only her true soul mate will have the ability to unlock them again, breaking the bind.   But know that this is not 100% perfect, if she should meet her soul mate in a few years, there is nothing I can do.  Her powers will resurface.”

 “Please mother, whatever you can do, do it.   We will move to the country and live a quiet life.   I will try to protect her for as long as I can.   Just help me protect my child…please.”

 The older woman nodded.   As she approached the child she looked directly at me.

 “Remember Sophia, the bind was set in place so that you were able to grow as a normal child and mature to your adult years.   Now that you have and also met your mate, your powers are released.   Tread carefully child, many will seek to destroy you, some closer than you think.   Trust in yourself and trust in your magic.   They will always guide you.   Be very careful as to who you expose yourself to.   Godspeed granddaughter, I will always be with you…”

 Jolting up in bed, my breath was uneven and my heart rate was accelerated.   What the hell just happened?  It was like a memory, but a dream at the same time.   I felt like I was truly there, I mean in essence I was as a baby, but there was no way I have a memory for when I was only 2 months old.  

 And my grandmother?  What the hell was that all about?   I never met the woman, I was told she died before I was born.   My mother kept to her word as I grew up in a very rural area in a small town.   Jane and I both attended the local college only a few miles away from where we grew up.   We lived in a town where everyone knew your name, I always felt safe.   As I got to my teenage years I hated living in such a small town, yearning to runaway to the big city.  

 As I approached college, I saw my chance and applied to out of state programs, but then mom got sick and I decided to stay local so I could take care of her.   It wasn’t until after mom died and I graduated that I finally moved to California, and that is where I met Brian.   I was alone for the first time in my life and in a strange big city, still morning my mother’s death and he swept me off of my feet.   I was so alone and scared that I guess I was an easy target for him.   I sometimes wondered what my life would have been like if I just listened to my mother and stayed in our small town.  

Now my response is different.   If I didn’t live through hell, I guess I would have never ended up where I am at now, well as the saying goes, thank god for unanswered prayers…

Shaking off the tension from my dream I climbed out of bed.   The sun had fully risen and I wanted to check on my mate.   As I walked naked to the bathroom, I tried to shake the uneasy feeling the dream left behind.   I was still so confused.   What was going on?

 As I caught my reflection in the wall mirror I froze…oh my…