72

"E-Eve...?" Chase called out to Evelina in a hoarse and raspy voice. He felt like his heart had just been shattered by a hammer.

"I-i..." Evelina backed a few steps. Her eyes are full of uncertainty. She took a glance of Chase's scarred face and couldn't help but feel disgusted.

Chase's face no longer looked as handsome as before. His face was pale due to the pain from his injuries. His eyes were tired and contained eye bags. His golden hair was wet from sweat. He looked extremely haggard. But the most terrifying part was the scar on his face. The scar stretched from his right chin to beside his right eye.

"Eve.." Chase tried to call for her again. But Evelina merely stood there staring at him with a scornful expression.

After that day, the relationship between the royal family and the Casspan family worsened. But Evelina's and Chase's relationship was even worse.

Evelina would usually wait for him to return home at the lobby. But now she would try her best to avoid him.

She was that sick of his face.

Chase was not only disfigured but also disable. His left leg isn't as flexible as it used to be and is always numb.

Chase, of course knew the reason for her actions. And because of that, he slowly began to realize how fake her love truly was.

Their relationship turned cold and they no longer acted as a loving married couple. It felt like they were separated, even though they lived in the same house.

After a few weeks, the Sainthallian Empire lost the war and had to give away a massive amount of land to the Vancelia Empire.

It was a humiliating defeat.

***************
Evelina sat in the drawing room dazed.

She used to be highly respected as the Marchioness, as well as the saintess, but now, she was always ridiculed by the other nobles.

The Casspan family received a drastic fall from grace. The nobles were not afraid of them anymore and would freely gossip about them.

Evelina turned to her maiden family for help, but there was nothing the Skyler family could do.

When she asked for help, the duke was angered. Since his daughter married the head of the Casspan family, she was also thought as apart of the Casspans. So it also inflicted him.

The Skylers were still quite respected, but it was humiliated.

Evelina felt a strange feeling inside her chest. She gritted her teeth and massaged her temples.

When did everything go downhill?

"Madam!" One of her handmaid's called.

"What!?" Evelina exclaimed, annoyed.

"I-it's that slave..! He has contracted the plague..!" The maid said in a panic. Her face was full of sweat and worry.

"What!?" Evelina's body turned as stiff as wood. Her heat pounded and she could not ignore the panic in her heart.

There was a plague going around in the empire recently. At first, they didn't think it was much of a threat, but they were soon proven wrong.

Loud and fast footsteps echoed through the halls. Evelina frantically ran to the direction of Eric's room.

With a loud "bang!" Evelina slammed open Eric's room.

Evelina was hyperventilating on the bed and was sweating a lot. Even though she moved to the Casspan estate after getting married, Evelina still gave Eric a room similar to his old bedroom. Dark and small.