Chapter 7

I found my head leaning toward his, nervousness coursing through me. Elmer closed his dark eyes, sucking in a breath. "Katie, your brother went into your room," Albert sighed, breathing heavy. Both mine and Elmer's eyes shot open. I smiled sheepishly before rolling off and going upstairs, both Newsies on my heel.

I knocked on the door, "Patrick, open the door!" I growled, wiggling the knob.

"No!" He yelled. I huffed, heading down the hallway to the bathroom and grabbing a couple hairpins. I went back, receiving questioning looks from the boys. I crouched down,  jamming the pins in the lock and moving them around until I heard a click. I threw the door open, finding Patrick holding my guitar.

"Put it down," I ordered, voice as calm as possible.

"Make me!" He hissed, making an attempt to escape.

I turned to chase, only coughing and leaning on the wall. "Katie!" Elmer yelped, making an effort to grab Pat on his way over to me. "You okay?" He asked worriedly. I nodded, standing up.

"Patrick!" I yelled, voice somewhat hoarse from the coughing. A small crash sounded from the second floor. I groaned, starting to jog toward the stairs only to have my wrist grabbed and pulled back into Albert.

"Let Elmer deal with it, ya gotta rest a bit," the ginger sighed, pulling up a chair. "Sit," he ordered. After turning to Elmer for help, but getting none, I reluctantly sat, watching both boys disappear from the room. I huffed, kicking a book and folding my arms over my chest. After a few minutes of crashing going on, all three of the boys reappeared.

"I's sorry, Sissy," Patrick sighed, handing my guitar to me.

"Mhm," I said, putting it back in its place before sitting by the window.

"Katie?" Elmer asked, coming over.

"What?" I growled, water pooling in my eyes. I sniffled, trying to keep my emotions together.

"What's wrong?" He asked, voice soft.

"Nothing," I retorted.

"C'mere, Patrick, let's go play a game," Albert whispered.

"What's wrong with Katie?" The youngest boy asked.

"I dunno," Albert reasoned, taking the younger boy out of the room, leaving Elmer and I.

"There's somethin'," Elmer pressed.

I pulled my knees to my chest, quiet sobs escaping my lips as warm water slid down my cheeks. "It's not fair," I mumbled.

"What's not?" He asked, pulling me toward him.

"Everyone else around me is so perfect and I'm here dealing with cancer," I sobbed.

"Nobody's perfect, Dearest," Elmer sighed, rubbing my shoulder with his thumb. Dearest? What's that about?

"I'm definitely far from it, like, whole other universe far," I complained.

"You're perfect to everyone around you," he pressed.

"Oh really? My brother acts like he hates me all the time, my parents are constantly talking about how long I have left, nobody else knows about it and I put on a brave face, but I'm really just a mess on the inside," I whined, burying my face in his shirt. "Oh, and you and Albert started treating me differently because I have cancer and you know about it. I don't want nor need the pity."

"That's normal, Katie. Did you ever stop to think about why Patrick acts the way he does? He scared. Your parents are scared as well, that's why they talk about that. Albert and I only act the way we do because we're terrified of loosing you, we aren't pitying you. We want to ensure you're safe and healthy for as long as possible," Elmer reasoned.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, voice barely audible.

"It's okay, I know you's scared, so is everyone else," Elmer sighed, turning my face toward him. Without thinking, I quickly pressed my lips to his and pulled away again. Both our faces reddened as we sat there stunned.

The Next Morning

Fresh snow covered the ground and icicles hung from the roof. Elmer was asleep beside me, leaning against the wall of the bay window. I got up, slipping down the hall toward my parents bedroom. I have to admit, I was surprised when I saw they weren't there. I looked all over the building, unable to find my parents. I returned to my room, shaking Elmer awake. "My parents never made it home last night," I whispered.

The phone rang in the bakery and I made a mad dash to pick it up. "Hello?"

"Come to the Brooklyn Bridge if you want to see your parents again," the person on the other end said.

"Who are you?" I asked, voice shaky.

"An old friend of your mother," they hissed, venom tinging their voice.

"Who exactly?" I growled.

"Come to the bridge," the other growled before the line went dead.

"Katie? Who was that and what did they want?" Elmer asked.

"They said to go to the bridge if I ever wanted to see my parents again," I croaked.

"Who were they?" Elmer asked.

"They said they were an old friend of Momma."

"Let's get Albert," Elmer decided. We both found Albert curled up with Pat.

I shook him awake, "we need your help."

"With?" The ginger asked groggily.

"Katie's parents are in danger and she might be, too," Elmer informed him quietly.

"How do I help?" The ginger asked.

"Take Pat and go to where you guys live, Elmer will come with me just in case. Your job will be to make sure Patrick is being taken care of then bring a few Newsies to the Brooklyn Bridge," I explained.

"Got it. Patrick, c'mon," Albert shook my brother until he was a wake before picking him up, slinging a jacket over his shoulders, and marching down to where the Newsies live.

"C'mon, no time to loose. Put this on," I handed Elmer a jacket before shrugging one on myself. "Leave the hat here." I pulled his grey cap off, placing it on the table and running my fingers through his jet black hair to fluff it up a bit. We then headed down to the bridge, finding my parents' carriage rolled over and half off the bridge.