38. Some Say...

Based on a true story...ish ;)

EM

"Ok seriously, what is it and where are we going?"

Having flown to the other side of the world to deliver Dan's Christmas present, I had subsequently discovered that my own gift was to be found a little closer to home. Make that A LOT closer to home, not that I'd be calling it 'home' for much longer if Dan's less than subtle hints were to be believed. 'When I'm back in Monaco' had become 'when we're back in Monaco.' It was a scary prospect - the old me would never have considered leaving England. Hell I hadn't even left a toothbrush in Dan's apartment last visit! Yet at the same time the new me was begging him to ask, and had no doubt what the answer would be.

"Haven't you figured it out yet?"

"No!" I huffed in exasperation, I mean I know where we are, but I don't know where we're going!"

"How about now?"

"NO!" I repeated as we passed a sign to Dunsfold Aerodrome. "Hold on..." Dunsfold...why did that sound so familiar? I whipped my phone out sneakily while Dan's eyes were still fixed on the road ahead, and had a quick Google.

"NO WAY!!" My jaw dropped at the results. "Are we going to see Top Gear?"

"Better, we're going to be ON Top Gear"

"WHAT??" I didn't think my voice could get any higher than my previous exclamation but apparently it could.

"Yeah they're shoving me in the old Suzuki for a few laps"

"YOU'RE THE STAR IN THE REASONABLY PRICED CAR??" Pretty sure only the neighbourhood dogs could hear me by this point. "Seriously?"with an effort I dragged my voice down to normal levels "How did I not know about this? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Probably the same reason you didn't tell me you'd got the job - just waiting for the right moment" he teased. That shut me up, but not for long.

"So can I watch the lap? Can I meet the guys? Can I meet the Stig??" Like a kid in a sweet shop I didn't know which treat I was most excited about.

Dan squeezed my hand, turned in to the entrance, and said.....nothing.

*

It LOOKED fast...for a Suzuki at least. A few of the production crew were gathered around a monitor at the side of the track, watching the live feed being transmitted from inside the car. Presumably someone was also monitoring the time, but they weren't letting on.

"Bloody strewth - you beauty!" Adrenaline pumping, his Australian accent was even more pronounced than usual. Evidently the microphone was working loud and clear, much to the amusement of our little gaggle of spectators.