III

I, once again, walked away from my comfy hole. This time, I was headed to a small town nestled in a valley. This town was evacuated before the infected got to them and was mostly clear of their presence. It was also out of the way that no one had went back and looted it before I found it a year ago. It had since been supplying me with tea bags and other canned food. This time, I was going to grab some more canned fruits, my store was running a bit low.

I crossed the ridge shielding the town and entered the valley proper. Something immediately caught my eyes. A jeep that looked like it belonged in a rust yard and two pickup trucks painted the most horrid shade of bright blue I had ever seen. I swear, that thing could be seen in orbit. The vehicles al have solar panels on the roof, and the jeep was attached to a trailer packed with more solar panels. There were about five people mulling around, bring out boxes of goods to load onto the trucks and the backseat of the jeep. Alright, I'm going to perch up here and wait for them to leave.

Their vehicles were almost full, and I saw one of them closing the shop they were raiding while another, a brown-haired woman, took the last box and was heading to the truck. She jumped up onto the bed, wedged the box into position and secured the goods via a net. After that was done, she looked up at the skies, lazily sweeping over the ridge and passing over me. She suddenly tensed, and seemingly called her companions before pointing in my direction. This is not good; how could she had seen me? If not, why would she suddenly stopped glancing around and stared right at me? She must have somehow spotted me, despite me being quite the distance away and blending in with the foliage. Anyhow, I think I would stick around to see what they would do; I was craving for human interaction anyways.

So, I stayed in place, watching and waiting. I was curious what they would do next. After much deliberation, I saw two of them, a male and a female, walked towards the edge of the town, heading my direction. They decided to come to me, after all.

'Hello there!' The guy yelled at me. 'What brings you to this lovely neighbourhood on this fine day?'

'Oh, I don't know, I may or may not had ran out of canned fruits and wanted more.'

'Oh, do you really?' The girl quirked an eyebrow. 'If then, come on, we have plenty to share.'

'Alright.' I jumped down from my perch. The lady was dressed in black jeans and light blue shirt, topped with a golden-brown leather jacket, with a flaming head of hair pulled in a braid; The guy was in a similar attire, but instead of jeans, he was in a pair of dark blue cargo pants, black shirt and grey jacket. He had a hair dark as midnight, and blue eyes as clear as a sunny day.

I followed them back down to the town, where I met the others. This is when I did a double take and looked at the eyes of everyone present. The eye of the lady who spotted me and the eyes of the guy who came up to coax me out of hiding has the exact same shade as mine, amber ring and all.

'I can see you have figured that out.' The lady who spotted me first commented, 'Yep. Dan and I am infected.' She was wearing a tank top and cargo pants. That's one of those tiny things the infection brought to the body – coldness is no longer that big of an issue. I could wear a light autumn jacket in all of winter but the coldest hours. I assume it's also the case for these infected. 'That's Olyvia,' She pointed to the redhead who was besides Dan; 'Brandon,' a tall and lanky guy in leather jacket, with a mop of ginger and a pair of perfectly normal brown eyes; 'and William,' a slim and rather short man with brown hair swept into a ponytail, a few strands escaping its bonds, faming his gentle looking green eyes; 'and I'm Ellie.' On a closer look, she has a long, straight scar on her right cheek, from her cheekbones right to her neck, topped with a nasty looking burn scar on her left arm. That got to hurt when she received them...