xii. tears and fears

chapter 12 - tears and fears

"Tell me what happened." Clarke stated, clearly confused but also relieved to hear that the Flame wasn't within Ontari's reach.

And so, after feeling like Dakota had gotten far enough away from the city, Titus sighed, before diving into what he and Kota had talked about before she went M.I.A from the tower...

(flashback)

"Titus, may I have a word?" Dakota asked, as she made her way into his sacred room.

The man was gently wiping off the blood from the flame, after just recently extracting it from Lexa's flesh, but he quickly turned his attention to the young girl. "Of course, Sisheda." [Sister of the Commander]

Dakota sighed at the formal name he gave her. He rarely referred to her in such a way unless he was around the Commander herself, or he just wanted something. So, considering the fact that Lexa was no longer there, she knew it was the latter.

"Look," She huffed. "I know you want my forgiveness, Titus—"

"—I beg for it." He pleaded with desperation, and Kota could clearly see the pain and guilt written on his face.

"And I understand that, Titus, but no more than an hour ago you put a bullet through my sister and killed her. " She gritted, trying not to let fresh tears form. She came there for a reason, so she couldn't get distracted by her emotions now. "I know that the incident of harming Lexa was unintentional, but you had every intention in harming the one that she loved, and I'm not okay with that either."

Her words instantly caused regret to flash in Titus' eyes, knowing she was right. It wasn't fair for him to request forgiveness so soon. She still needed time to grieve and he knew that he had no right to rush her when it was due to his actions that she was in that predicament to begin with.

"Tell me," Kota continued on. "Lexa loved me deeply. In a different way than she did Clarke, because I was her blood. Her family. So, what did that mean for me, huh? Was I supposed to be next on your hit list? Should I have expected to awaken tomorrow with a bullet of my own?" She gritted, causing Titus' eyes to instantly widened drastically.

"Of course not, Dakota! You know I would never hurt you!

"Oh, do I?" She scoffed.

"Please," Titus spoke quietly. "You may not be able to forgive me just yet, but at least believe me when I tell you that I would never intentionally harm you or Lexa. Yes, it is my duty to protect the flame and the Commander who bares it, but I loved your sister like she was my own daughter. I taught her and watched her grow. I was wrong to believe that having you back in her life could weaken her. You only made her stronger. In the end, I was mistaken, and Lexa helped me to realize that, so I apologize."