Point of Origin

"Sixteen DOA so far! Mostly brunt trauma to the head or crushed by falling debris or other bodies. One victim impaled." Buck started briefing the Captain when the 118 was called on for a collapsed floor at an Indian wedding.

"They fell through two stories? I won't be surprised if that if that number goes higher." Bobby shook his head at the thought, and he led them deeper into the building, closer to the accident site.

So much for the happiest day of one's life. Jane thought, looking around at the devastation. So many people in their nicest clothes, now crying out in pain or in search of their loved ones. It kind of looks like the worst.

"Captain," Hen interjected, coming up to them, "the groom his devastated. His bride hasn't been accounted for yet."

"We'll find her. Buck, I'm gonna need you to go up top. Access to the second floor is blocked. We're gonna have to tackle this thing from both ends. Jane, start down here, but help Buck if there's need." Bobby ordered them.

"Okay, Captain." Buck responded, nudging Jane on the shoulder as he went. "Looks like I get to have fun without you."

She rolled her eyes at the man. He was such a kid sometimes and yes, while she enjoyed a lot of the complicated and dangerous rescues, unlike Buck, she didn't mind if she was left to one of the safer jobs. Jane was content to go where needed as long as she was doing work that helped people. After all, she'd gone down a cliff just a few weeks ago. Her life was exciting enough without volunteering to fall to her death every other day.

"Savita! Savita!" An Indian man appeared in front of them as they rounded the corner, seemingly trying to dig into the rubble, looking for someone. This, Jane assumed, was the groom looking for his missing bride. Hen was right, he was devastated. Interesting, since she'd heard some of the guests saying that it was an arranged marriage and they hadn't met each other more than one or two times before this. It appeared that if the bride was alive, this might be a good match. He seemed to care anyway.

"Step back. Step back. Step back, it's okay." Bobby kindly said, as he gently but firmly moved the groom away from the rubble and on the other side of their group. "If she's in there, we will find her. Sir, Stay back." The groom kept pushing forward, desperate to get to her in the disaster. "Sir let us do our job." He handed the man off to Hen as he turned to the pile of rubble the man was trying to dig his new wife out of.

"Sir, have a seat. Let us do our job." Hen told the groom as she steered him away. Once the groom was out of the way, Hen went to help Bobby dig the bride from the wreckage.

With the rest of her team occupied, Jane took up a flashlight to peer around the area, searching for other survivors. She had been looking and digging for around ten minutes when she heard Buck help Bobby get the bride from where she'd been buried. Jane gently smiled to herself, glad that they'd found each other safely. But her smile halted as she recognized what she was looking at. She reached her gloved hand into the pile of debris and pulled out a misshapen piece of metal and peered at it. If this was what she thought it was... then this accident became a little more like manslaughter.

"Captain!" Jane called over, a hint of weariness in her voice. Bobby looked over at her curiously, and she waved the scrap of metal. "I think you'll want to see this!"

Bobby approached cautiously, his eyes widening at the sight of the metal. Jane lifted it up and pointed to where she'd found it, and then pointed her flashlight to the exposed part of the ceiling, where you could see the same metal exposed. Bobby's eyes narrowed, his face becoming cold.