< I >

Cataleya Valentina Velez:

'Happy birthday bitch!' Neveah shouts in the sleepiest voice I've ever heard. I can tell she just woke up by the sound of her voice and the messy bun on her head. 

'You're officially legal in America.' I sit up and smile at my friend. The fact that I heard her whole earthquake of getting breakfast five minutes ago, makes me smile even wider. 

She jumps on my tiny bed and hugs me tightly. She smells of fresh bread and fruits. 'What did you get?' 

'Straight to business, I see.' Neveah let's go of me and smirks. 'You smell delicious and I'm hungry.' 

She grabs my arm and pulls me through our small apartment, towards the "kitchen". The whole table is filled with all types of food and it smells delicious. 

'Where did you get all this food from?!' Veah simply smiles at me and sits in one of the chairs. 'I know all the spots, you should know that.' 

I walk towards the table and sit down too, still looking at all the food. We'll have food for the whole week. 

'Well go eat, it won't eat itself.' I roll my eyes and grab a croissant. It's still warm. 

This is probably the freshest food I've ever eaten and it tastes delicious. 

'Remind me to make you get breakfast for the rest of our stay!' I mumble when I'm finished with my bite. 

'Oh hell no, I am not waking up this early ever again!' She gulps down a glass of water and takes another bite out of her panini. 

Neveah has never been a morning person, yet she woke up just to get us breakfast for my birthday. 

'Even though we have to be at work at eight tomorrow morning.' She sighs before fake smiling. 

'Thanks for doing this Ve.' She smiles and walks to the cabinets, to grab some more water. 'This is only the beginning. Today is all about you.' 

'Did your mom call you yet?' 'Mhm, she wanted to say hi, but you were out to get all this shit.' I say before taking a sip of the cold water. 

'I'll call her later today. Eat up, we have a lot to do!' She commanded jokingly before grabbing some pieces of fruit from a bowl. 

We both enjoy the food she bought. It's so much, we can barely finish half of it. After we're done storing all of it in the shitty fridge we own, she demands me to get ready. 

'Wear something good, better than usual!' She shouts, before running to her room. I smile to myself and walk over to my closet. 

Some of my clothes are still packed in the boxes from two weeks ago. We've only been in Italy for two weeks. Jeez... 

Why does it feel like we've been here for over a year? It feels like we've lived here our entire lives, even though neither of us can talk fluent Italian.

'F-R-I-E-N-D-S! Get that shit inside your head!' I scoff at Neveah screaming at the top of her lungs. She's been singing that song for the past week and it gets funnier every time. 

I look over my clothes and decide to go for a pair of blue jeans and a red top that Neveah picked out for me in America. 

'Are you almost done?!' Neveah shouts from the hallway. 'Yeah, almost!' 

She bursts through the door and smiles at me. 'I was hoping you would wear that one!' 

'How could I not, it's the only thing I like out of all the clothes you picked for me.' Her smile disappears and she sighs deeply. 'I'm joking! I love you!'