THIRTY SIX

* * *

Princess Lauren slid the trapdoor shut. It is placed in a tight narrow space between walls, just behind a built-in sliding cabinet full of kitchen utensils. Lena was very proud when showing it to her because it showed Kara's brilliant woodworking skills.

After feeling a little bit foolish fussing all over Camila now that she's awake, but mostly she feels very relieved, the princess found both Ksra and Lena by the kitchen table, assembling what appears to be an emergency pack containing food, water and essential medical items. There was another pack on the floor presumably containing sets of clothes.

"Again, I apologize for bringing this all up on you. I never wished to bring with me such threat to your home," Lauren speaks softly.

"Oh your grace, no, don't be sorry," Kara shakes her head. "You are always welcome here. Is Camila awake now?"

"Yes. She's with Barry in the bunker and they're both hungry,"

"That's normal and Barry is always hungry, let me just grab some corn soup and some more pot stickers,"

"I can do it," the princess insists when Kara starts to grab some bowls and plates, "Just tell me where. We've been enough trouble for you guys, the least I can do is serve and clean up after ourselves,"

"Nonsense," Lena chimes in, "Hey love, maybe we should tell her that we owe her family so she won't feel so bad about all of this,"

Kara smiles, "I might have mentioned that to her but not in detail,"

"What do you mean by that anyway? My mom didn't mention being from around here, or that my dad ever ventured here in your nice hidden village," Lauren asks, puzzled.

"Years ago, you were not born yet. In fact, your parents were not married just yet but it was clear that they would be in just a matter of time," Lena begins. "Kara and I were students of your mother. She taught me majority of the things I know about being an apothecary, about gardening and herbs and their uses. She encouraged Kara with her art and taught her how to fight because she was mostly useless in the kitchen back then. There's not really much difference from then and now if you ask me,"

"Hey!"

Lauren smiles fondly.

Lena chuckles then continues, "Your mother was a kind and patient mentor. One day, there was an attack. Bandits led by one Alejandro Cabello ransacked our village. I was already an orphan, but Kara, she has a mother and a sister. Her family raise animals for a living and that day, the bandits were not going to spare anything . . . Or anyone,"

"My mom refused to give up the sheep," Kara adds, "So, Alejandro made a point to hurt her, he smacked her across the face and grabbed me and my sister, saying he'll take us too. He had his men pin down my mom, but before it got worse, your mother came to our rescue. She was a very good fighter, she knows how to wield a sword like an expert swordsman and her aim was true with her bow and arrows. But she was only one woman against a bunch of burly ugly men,"

Lena continues, "She was soon overwhelmed, but she somehow had me, Kara and her family hide in a corner anyway. Alejandro took an interest in her immediately. He fought her himself but before he can do anything else, your father and a few of his friends arrived. He took over the fighting then he chased all the bandits away. They all knew that they just can't stand a chance against the well-known prince of Arcadia. Their kindness didn't end there, for a while, your father helped our village thrive through your mother's guidance and leadership. It was them who brought our village together to create a solid plan of action to keep ourselves safe from these bandit attacks,"