Thirty five

"So, tell me about this sister of yours," Addison looked up from the baby at Erin.

"What do you want to know?" Erin said.

"Anything you want to share," Addison said. Naomi, Addison's friend, looked up from the baby curiously. She wasn't a neonatal surgeon but she'd scrubbed in to watch because it was quite an interesting surgery and she'd wanted to meet Erin.

"Well, she's older than me. She's the year younger than Meredith, so she's twenty four, I think. I stole her chart from Bailey and she's a genius, photographic memory. And Molly is older than me, too, so they're children of an affair. Which is great, you know? I mean, who doesn't love being the replacement?" Erin rolled her eyes.

"Not that sort of thing. Tell me about Lexie," Addison said.

"She's a pain in my ass. Meredith had her intubate a dead guy because that's what Bailey did to us and she got all offended and basically said Meredith was a shit doctor. She's young, she's new to everything and she's got a dead mom. She's a wreck and she's just like us in that way. We don't want to know her because I'm shit scared of my father after he hit Meredith and we know he blames us for Susan dying. And he's probably an alcoholic because he was drunk when he turned up. And she's innocent in all of this and we should get to know her, but I've got a sister. I don't need another one," Erin said.

"Why are you scared to let her in?" Naomi asked. Erin sighed and cut a bit of the tumour away from the lung.

"Because I have to open up and after everything that's happened, I don't want to do it anymore. I've had a shitty few months and everything is finally looking up. I'm top of the year, my interns aren't idiots, we're looking for patients for my method, I'm single and I've got amazing friends. I'm scared letting Lexie in will ruin it," Erin said.

"Well, you won't know until you let her in," Addison said.

"Or I could be safe and keep her at a distance but still get to know her?" Erin said hopefully.

"No," Naomi shook her head. "That'll hurt both of you," she said.

"I don't know what to do," Erin groaned.

"Well, what does Meredith want to do?" Addison asked.

"Bailey talked to us. She thinks Meredith hates her. She didn't say anything about me but I shouted at her in the cafeteria and basically told her we're train wrecks and we don't want her getting hurt, too. But Bailey said that she probably thinks we hate her because of what happened with Susan. So, Meredith showed Lexie the case notes for Susan last night while I was flying here. That should keep her away for a while," Erin said.

"Are you staying with Addison tonight?" Naomi asked.

"Yeah. I leave at lunch time tomorrow," Erin said.

"We're gonna have a sleepover, get drunk and talk through things," Naomi said.

"I'll get tequila," Addison said.

"Cool," Erin grinned.

"So, your mom and dad were both having affairs? And your dad had two whole other kids before you were born?" Naomi asked.

"Yeah. They're younger than Meredith, too. There's three years between me and Mer, so dad got busy. I always wondered if mom had any more kids but I never remembered any," Erin shrugged.

"You were only two," Addison said, handing Erin another shot glass.

"Yeah, but I think I'd remember that if I remembered my dad leaving," Erin said. She tapped the shot glass on the table and then chugged it.