Chapter 81: Lost wings and memory lights

Not proofread

Changbin stayed close to Changkyun and Baekhyun as they walked down the stairs to the third and, as far as they know, last floor of the hunter headquarter. Chanyeol and Sehun walked in front with Dowoon, Doyoung and Matthew following them close behind. Taeyong, Johnny, Yuta and Jungwoo walked close behind Changbin.

Despite not seeing Taeyong, Changbin knew that the guardian was relying on Johnny to support him. The young, uncrowned vampire king was entirely sure what was wrong with Taeyong, but he assumed it had something to do with Ten and Jaehyun somehow. If that was the case maybe Taeyong's exhausted state wasn't to blame on overworking. Still, Changbin could only guess with the little information he had at the moment.

When the group reached the bottom of the staircase, Chanyeol raised his hand, signaling the others to wait. Doyoung walked up to the tall vampire, standing beside him for a short moment and using his echolocation by just clicking his tongue once and then listening carefully.

Changbin knew that the ability of echolocation was something difficult to achieve even for a creature like a banshee, whose abilities all relied on their voice. After all, you needed good hearing for it and train it over years.

This reminded Changbin of the first time he had seen Doyoung. It was after he had encountered a hunter for a the first time and ran away with Felix to protect the other. Back then Changbin had no clue of Doyoung being able to use echolocation. The banshee had probably found them because of this ability along with Kun's werewolf nose.

"There some people down here, but not too many. I guess they're guards. Nobody of the them seem to head our way right now", Doyoung whispered, gaining everyone's attention. It was good that no one was heading their way, so they would maybe be able to find a safe spot to get the reinforcements in here sooner than they had anticipated. Still, before they could call the reinforcements Taeyong had to confirm that there were more than two prisoners here.

"I can see the souls of other creatures. We were right about not only Jaehyun and Ten being held captive here", Taeyong spoke up, shortly after Doyoung finished. This meant that there had to be vampires of the royal palace here too. Hopefully, the cat hybrids of the Sky Clan and Felix and Minho's parents were down here as well.

Changbin could feel his finger itching with the want to do something useful. Beside his plan of how to get through the second floor of the headquarter without being seen, Changbin hasn't done much except being obviously shielded by his vampire hyungs. He knew they were just doing what they thought was good for him, but he felt entirely useless just watching them skillfully take out their opponents with quick, coordinated movements.

"We should get going and not linger here for too long. We need to find a good place for Yuta to set up a link to the others so they can get in here without with portals without Zendala noticing", Johnny spoke up. Changbin looked over to the tall harpy, who also had been his English teacher for two years. The young vampire had never imagined that his English professor was a good fighter and part of an group like NCT, but here he was working on a mission alongside him.

"Let's go then", Baekhyun agreed with Johnny. Changbin could feel Baekhyun's hand on his back for a brief moment. It was something, which had recurrent a lot ever since the mission started and Changbin didn't know what to make of it, but he obliged nonetheless.

The group started to move again and Changbin remained in the protected middle like he had throughout the whole mission. Baekhyun moved to the front to Chanyeol, Sehun and Doyoung, who continued to lead the group through the maze of corridors, which was oddly familiar to Changbin after all the training and memorizing of the headquarter's map.