Prologue

"Kitty kitty! Come here kitty cat! Don't be scared!"
I ran, out of breath. I wouldn't let them catch up to me. I couldn't let them.
Wet tears trailed down my cheeks, blurring my vision against my will.

Stay strong.
Just a bit more.

I sped up, trying to loose them.
"Come on freak! Be a nice kitty and come here!"
An alley on my left caught my attention. I made a sharp turn and engaged in the slim gap between two blocks.
"In here!"
I continued running, not paying attention to their loud shouts.

I could make it.
I had to make it.

"Give up already! You won't get away!"

I abruptly stopped.
Shit.
It was a dead end.
Dead.
I was dead meat.

"You can't hide anymore little guy!"

I stumbled back, turning around.
But it was already too late.
The three brutes were already closing on me, cornering me against the wall.
There was no escape.

"This has to be the weirdest kid I've ever seen!" the tallest addressed his brainless accomplices.

"Look at how scarred he is! He's trembling like a stupid leaf!"

"Hey, look at those freaky things" one of them got closer to me, his hand closing in on one of my ears as I stayed put, completely paralyzed.

He felt the patch of fur momentarily before harshly pulling it upwards and sideways, almost lifting me from the ground as his comrades laughed uncontrollably.

I felt the fragile skin ripping, making my head jerk back. The sensitive nerves sent pain shooting through my whole body, blurring my vision.

"The tiny creep even has a tail!" the other laughed, stepping closer to me as well and yanking on the heap of fur behind me, throwing me on the floor with the strength of the action.

"God he's so weak it's pathetic! Even a stray kitten could beat him up!" the last one spat at me.

Devilish grins twisted their features. Hate and fear shivered through me as I watched them close the distance between us. The impact on the hard ground had hurt my legs, making them numb. There was no way I could get up now.
All I could do was wait like an incapable for the final hit.

One of the men raised his hand, closed into a fist. Getting ready for the blow, I closed my eyes, crushing my eyelids together, burying my head inside my knees as I hugged them tightly.

This was it.

This was were my story ended.

His sacrifice was for nothing.
I hadn't lasted a minute out of there.

I kept my eyes closed, angry tears spilling out of them. Angry at myself. Angry at him. Angry at them.

Maybe this was all for the best. I wasn't worthy of this life anyways.

I just wished I would have had the time to tell him sorry.

"Hey, where'd he go?"

I opened my eyes tentatively, never feeling the strong fist against my jaw. Said bone almost fell open as I was met with an incredible sight. The men in front of me had tripled in size.

As if I was looking through an ant's eyes.

"I'm sure he was there just a minute ago..."

No, not an ant.
The eye level was higher.

Not loosing a minute, I tried to get up. I almost stumbled as soon as I did. I looked behind me. Four legs.
Four white legs, out of nowhere.

I didn't question it further. There wasn't time. I tried to stand once again and leaped forward.

"The cats running a way!...wait, cat?"

My feet... or paws, or whatever they were, were bare on the humid concrete. I advanced clumsily, not used to run on more than two legs. Wind brushed through  the fur covering me as I ran without thinking.

I was safe. For now.

But who knew what could have happened?
I couldn't risk it. If I stayed the way I was... the way they made me, I wouldn't last a second.

I was a freak.

An outcast.

A stray.

If I wanted to live, I would have to give up my old life, and embrace this one instead. Even if it meant leaving as a...

What was I?

I took a minute to slow down from my run and catch my breath. The moist atmosphere was heavy and humid from the late night rain.

A puddle was lit by a flickering streetlight. I slowly approached it.
I didn't know what to expect as I leaned over it.

The same two white ears usually crowning the top of my head were now sitting on a very furry face.

My face.

My body was covered with gleaming white fur. At the end of it poked out a long tail, swishing in the air. Small paws propped my figure up.

I was unrecognizable.

I was a feline. A cat.
They had changed me to the core, and now deeper than I would have thought.

This was the new me. This was my new normality.
A freak of twisted nature.

Never again would I be a normal human boy.

Never again could I go back to living like everyone else.

Two piercing eyes stared back at me. The slanted pupils drilled through me.

Mesmerizing, crystal clear, emerald eyes.