3 - Eggs

Monday morning I wake up an incessant ringing, which I soon realize is my phone. 

Tammy is calling... 

I groan before answering my phone with a groggy hello.

"Hey, you have to tell me everything about the date. How was it? Where did he take you? Was it romantic? Oh, I'm sure it was so romantic, you have to tell me every detail."

"That's what you called me for? Couldn't wait until later when I'm a functioning human being?" I yawned sitting up in bed. 

"Why aren't you up, don't you have to open the bakery today?"

"No Miles is opening today, I'm not in until later."

"Ohh, oops. Well since you're awake might as well tell me about it, you're lucky I didn't call yesterday."

I proceed to give her every last detail about the date until she's satisfied. 

"Aw, that is so sweet, you guys are so great together. Okay, I'm pulling into work. I gotta go but let's have drinks at my place in a few days okay?" I can hear things rusting on her end. 

"I'm.. on a cleanse, right now, but I'd love to meet up."

"Alright, we'll talk later, love ya, babe, ta for now."

I smile and hang up the phone before going to the bathroom to take care of business and shower. 

As I'm pulling my hair into a bun, my phone starts to ring from my bedroom. I leave one hand holding my hair while I run to grab the phone without looking at the caller ID. 

"Hello?"

"Hi is Miss Addison Dyne? I'm calling on behalf of Dr. Miel, we have your test results."

"Oh, um, yeah this is Addison. You have my blood test results?"

I let the hand holding my hair fall to my neck, I started playing with the necklace Justin gave me. 

"Yes, so the amount of hCG in your blood does confirm that you are pregnant, I estimate between 5 and 6 weeks. If you want we can schedule you an appointment with Dr. Miel..." 

She continues to speak but I am barely paying attention. Why did I have to be right? There might be a small part of me that's excited but at the moment it is nowhere to be found. 

I suddenly remember I'm still on the phone when I hear my name being called. 

"Is that alright with you Miss Dyne?"

"I'm sorry I missed that, can you say that again?"

"Of course, I can schedule you in for an appointment at the end of the week for an ultrasound and checkup."

I agree and get the rest of the details before hanging up and falling back into the bed, closing my eyes. After a few moments, I take a deep breath and go back to the bathroom to finish my hair. 

And throw up a little bit.  

Over the next few hours, I busy myself at work, baking, cleaning, doing files, anything that will occupy my mind for a while and allow me to put a smile on my face. 

Just as I'm locking up the front I feel a presence behind me. 

"Addison, can I ask you something?"

I turn and see it's Miles, one of the bakers. 

"Sure what's up? Is everything okay?" 

"That's what I was gonna ask you actually. You seem a little off today."

"Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind, nothing to worry about." I smile at him before turning to everyone else. "Alright, good job today guys. Clock out and you're free to go." 

I get variations of 'goodbye' and 'goodnight' and before I know it I'm the last one in the shop. I grab my purse and coat, lock the back door, and head to my car with one thing on my mind. 

Justin. 

I need to go see him, I should tell him. What if he hates me? Well, his mother loves me, 1 out of 2 that's not bad. Does he even want kids? Do I even want kids? I mean, I want this kid. 

My brain continues firing questions a mile a minute as I drive towards Justin's apartment building. I take one of the guest parking spots before making my way inside, once I reach the front desk I ask the man to buzz me up. 

"Oh, sorry dear I can't do that. He's not here." 

"What do you mean he's not here?"

"Exactly that, his lease was up and he didn't renew. Packed up his stuff and left, a moving truck came this afternoon and he left his key."

"Well did he say where he was going?" I ask, my heart begins to race. 

"No, sorry I can't be of more help." He gives me a sympathetic smile before going to the backroom, leaving me alone at the desk. 

Confused I turn and leave heading back to my car, making a silent drive home. I park in the underground garage and walk inside the building. 

I exit the elevator and walk to my door, trying to think of reasons why Justin wouldn't have renewed his lease. As I opened the door to my apartment I noticed a letter slipped under the door. 

To: Addie is written out on the front and nothing else, it doesn't take me long to realize it's from Justin. 

After I lock the door, I pick it up and go sit in the living room. I have a bad feeling this is the kind of letter you need a glass of wine with. 

My mood gets worse once I realize I can't even have a glass of wine.

I take a deep breath before opening the letter, I feel as though my heart has dropped to my stomach getting worse with each line I read. 

He left me for a job, but he won't tell me where he went. He decided it would have been selfish to ask me to go with him while I had the bakery. I hate when people make decisions like they know what's best for me, he didn't even give me a chance. 

Once I'm done reading the now tear-soaked letter I leave it on the coffee table and wipe the tears from my face. 

I leave the living room and walk back towards my bedroom, a room that was full of memories that now mean nothing. 

What am I supposed to do now? How am I supposed to care for myself, a child, and the bakery? I don't even have two bedrooms in this place. 

I'm pregnant, alone, and I can't even have a glass of wine to forget about it. 

Tears begin to stream down my face again as I come to another realization. No matter how much I want to hate him, I still love him and this piece of him inside me. 

Honestly, I hate how much I don't hate him after this. 

He left me. 

I'm pregnant... and he left me. 

Yet at this moment I still love him. Though a small part of me hopes that feeling doesn't last long. 

*****

That's it for chapter 3! A little shorter than the first two, but short and to the point. 

How do you guys feel about Justin and what he did? Do you think he made the right decision?

Don't forget to vote and comment!!! Let me know if you want the baby to be a boy or a girl!!!

Have a marvellous morning, afternoon, evening, and night.