13

"Alright, the distress signal came from just up ahead," Tails whispered, looking up from his device. The trio, comprised of the previously mentioned fox, Espio, and (Y/n), moved towards the facility, located on the edge of Infinite's expanding territory. "No doubt it's originating from Omega; the encryption is familiar."

"Team Dark," Espio said. Tails nodded, cranking a knob.

"Knowing Omega's capabilities, there's probably a message embedded in here. I'll try and figure it out. You guys go ahead and see if you can find a way into the facility; I'll tell you what I find," the young genius said.

"We'll get back to you if we find anything," (Y/n) responded, moving forward and waving to Espio. He trotted after her, both sliding down the slope leading to the facility.

"I'm guessing the front doors aren't a safe option," the (a/t) said quietly. Espio approached the facility, running one hand along the wall.

"It seems to be a more secure facility, but it's nothing we haven't encountered before," the chameleon stated, looking up at the roof several storeys above them.

"Right," (Y/n) said, pointing her grappling hook towards the gutter. She released, snagging Espio's hand and swinging them both onto the roof.

"There," he said, pointing. The pair crept over to what appeared to be the one source of ventilation, soon to be their entrance.

"It'll be a squeeze," (Y/n) murmured, pulling her wispon off her shoulder.

"Ladies first," Espio said with a small smile. She shook her head and shot the lock off the vent, shoving the cover off and jumping inside.

It was free falling for a moment, but before she could slam into the bottom, she flashed all for limbs, catching herself. She dropped and rolled just as Espio came down, sliding through the narrow passage.

The chameleon was in the middle of updating Tails on their position when the pair was startled by a loud cry beneath them.

"What was that?" the (a/t) whispered back to her companion.

"I don't know, but we should hurry." She nodded to herself and continued down until she finally spotted the first exit in the vent. She managed to turn around after getting to one side. Espio did the honors of pulling the cover off this time, turning invisible and climbing outside.

(Y/n) peered outside the vent as best she could, only to pull back when a green spear flew past her head, however, it fizzled out before it could do any damage. She poked her head back out to see Infinite himself pinning Shadow the Hedgehog to the ground.

"Eyes on Shadow," she murmured into the comms. "Looks like Infinite's doing a number on him, though."

"I kind of got the message. I think Infinite's energy is corrupting it somehow, though. It's pretty hard to understand," Tails replied. "Where's Espio at?"

"Trying to locate the rest of Team Dark," the chameleon spy inserted. "Depending on where they are at, we should carefully consider whether or not to try and rescue them. We are a stealth team, after all."

"If the situation calls for it, I'm sure Knuckles wouldn't protest, so long as we have a plan," the two-tailed fox said. "What's the situation with Shadow?"

"Hold on. Let me see." She shifted around the vent for a better view.

Down below, Infinite was circling Shadow, who was on his hands and knees, visibly panting. The (a/t) strained her ears to hear what the jackal was saying.

"The Ultimate Lifeform. On his knees before me. Do I strike you as pathetic now?" The dark hedgehog's response was lost to her, though, sharp as it might have been, didn't seem to faze Infinite. "I thought as much. Your pride always did seem to outweigh your self preservation instincts.