3.6 the marauder's map

Harry's pov ϟ

"Professor, why do the dementors affect me? I mean, more than everyone else." I asked Professor Lupin as we trudged through the forest.

"The dementors are among the foulest creatures to walk this earth. They feed on every good feeling, every happy memory, until the person is left with absolutely nothing but his worst experiences. You," he paused before continuing, "are not weak, Harry. The dementors affect you most of all because there are true horrors in your past. Horrors your classmates can scarcely imagine. You have nothing to be ashamed of."

"I'm scared, professor."

"Well, I would consider you a fool if you weren't." Professor Lupin stepped over a large twig as I did the same.

"I need to know how to fight them. You could teach me!" I reached out to pet Hedwig who was sitting on the tree trunk.

"I don't pretend to be an expert, Harry, but as the dementors seem to have developed a particular interest in you," he chuckled weakly. "Perhaps I should teach you. But after the holidays."

~~

"Last call for Hogsmeade!" Filch yelled as he gathered the third years. It had become winter as snow flew gracefully from the sky.

"Are you sure, Harry?" Y/N asked as we entered the courtyard. "I can stay back again if you would like."

"No, it's okay. Professor Lupin has to talk to me anyways," I lied. Honestly, I would like if she stayed behind, but she had already done that for the last three times and I felt like I was stealing her visits to Hogsmeade.

"Alright!" she beamed happily as she turned around to look at me. "I won't forget your chocolate wands, I'll buy you ten!"

I smiled as I took off my scarf and wrapped it around her cold neck.

"Harry! You'll be cold then!"

"I'll be inside the castle anyways, you won't. I can't believe you forgot your scarf," I lectured as she laughed. "Okay, okay. I don't need you to lecture me, Hermione already did."

"Go!" I pushed her with a grin as the courtyard thinned. Nearly everyone had left to follow Filch towards Hogsmeade.

"Okay! Bye, Harry. I'll see you soon!" She ran off with my large scarf around her neck. My smile dropped as I turned back towards the castle. "If only McGonagall signed my slip, I would be able to go," I thought sadly before a brilliant idea popped into my head. "The Invisibility Cloak!"

Y/N's pov ϟ

"It's meant to be the most haunted building in Britain," Hermione explained. "Did I already mention that?" The three of us stood outside the fence surrounding the Shrieking Shack.

"Twice," Ron and I responded with a grin.

"Do you guys wanna move closer to see the Shrieking Shack?"

"No," Ron answered nervously. "Actually, I'm fine here."

"Well, well. Are you three shopping for your dream home?" I whipped around at the sound of Draco's annoying voice. "Bit grand for your family, Weasel-bee. Don't your family sleep in one room?"

"Shut your mouth, Malfoy." Ron glared at him.

"Ooh, not so friendly. I think it's time we teach Weasel-bee how to respect his superiors."

"Oh no, I hope you don't mean yourself." 

Draco sneered as Hermione jumped in front of Ron. "How dare you talk to me, you filthy mudblood."

I opened my mouth to retort as a snowball flew from the right, hitting Draco straight in the face. We all turned to look at the empty area where the snowball came from.

"Who's there!?" Draco looked anxious as his eyes darted from the left to the right as more snowballs flew, hitting him and his group of goons.

Ron, Hermione, and I looked at each other with a twinkle in our eyes. "The Invisibility Cloak!" I smiled to myself as I saw Draco being carried away by his legs. The three of us giggled as they ran away in fear.

"Harry!" I called out as he revealed himself laughing.

"Bloody hell, Harry! It's not funny," Ron said while roaring with laughter. My hand dived towards the floor as I made a snowball and threw it at Harry. His eyebrows raised with a smirk on his face as he did the same. Soon, the four of us were having an intense snowball fight.

"Those weasels," Ron sulked as we trudged through the snow as Harry told us about how Fred and George gave him the Marauder's map. "They never told me about any Marauder's map."

"Harry isn't going to keep it. He's going to turn it into Professor McGonagall when we get back. Aren't you, Harry?"

"Hermione, are you barking mad? Why would he turn in something so useful," I chucked as I linked arms with both Harry and Hermione.

"Rosmerta, my dear. I hear business is good." The four of us turned to see the Minister of Magic exiting a cart with Hagrid.

"It would a lot be better if the Ministry wasn't sending dementors into my pub every other night." Madam Rosmerta waved her finger in front of Fudge's face.

"We have... We have a killer on the loose!" Fudge managed to get out.

"Sirius Black in Hogsmeade... and what would bring him here?"

"Harry Potter," he whispered into her ear.

"Harry Potter?" She was quickly shushed by Fudge as he pulled her inside.

I turned to look as Harry's arm left mine and saw footsteps leading into the pub.

"Harry!" Hermione called and we ran up to enter the building.

"Hey! No underage wizards allowed in today. Shut the damned door, it's cold outside!"

"Geez. What thickheads," I mumbled as the three of us were pushed outside, waiting for Harry to return.

~~

"Look guys!" Hermione pointed towards moving footsteps in the snow. "It's Harry!"

The three of us ran, trying to follow the footsteps. We followed them deep into the forest and my eyes trailed to a rock, where the footsteps stopped. As I went closer, I could hear choked sobs. I walked slowly over to the rock and reached out, pulling off the Invisibility Cloak, which revealed a crying Harry.

"Harry, what happened?" I asked softly.

"He was their friend and he betrayed them. He was their friend!" Harry angrily shouted. "I hope he finds me. When he does, I'm going to be ready. When he does, I'm going to kill him."

A/N: sorry this chapter is a little shorter than usual! i didn't know how to transition into the next chapter so i just cut it off here. i'm having so much fun writing so i might finish poa today! thank you all for the love and support <3

(2/14/21)