Chapter 19

I wake up with a jolt, feeling even more tired than when I fell asleep. I pant and sweat, haunted by Cinderella's call.

"Violet? Is everything okay?" Nicholas places a hand on my arm.

"I just had a nightmare, that's all," I say, forcing a weak smile onto my face. Chase and Nicholas look at me with concern. "How long was I out?"

"About two hours. We're going to stop for a picnic in another hour and a half or so." I nod, leaning against the side of the carriage again to calm myself.

I'm able to fall asleep again, luckily this time without any dreams. I wake up to Nicholas, lightly shaking me. I sit up quickly, realizing that I was leaning on him. "Sorry," I mumble, as I straighten my hair.

"It's no problem," he smiles softly. "We're going to get out and eat now."

The somber filter that once covered the world is now gone and the sun is shining directly above us. The road we're on stretches for miles, through a bright green countryside. Only three guards come to supervise our picnic. After finally getting some rest, I feel a lot better though my concern for Cinderella is always present in the back of my mind.

Chase lays a large wool blanket over the grass and Nicholas starts to pull food out of a basket. There are pastries, fruit, some meat, and...

"Pudding!" I say happily as Nicolas places a container of the jiggly chocolaty goodness onto the blanket.

"I see you really like pudding," Chase notes but sends a weird look to Nicholas.

Nicholas just shrugs with a smile. "It's basically her favorite food, we have it all the time when we hang out."

Chase looks at me and I put my hands up in defense. Technically everything Nicholas just said was true.

"After this is all over would you like to go around the market with me to try new foods?" Chase asks me. "I heard they have a special type of cake made by elves that tastes better than any other sweet in the world."

My eyes light up. "Better than pudding? I'll totally want to try that!" I grin as a slide a spoonful of pudding into my mouth.

Nicholas sends a dirty look Chase's way. "I'm sure the palace can prepare desserts better than anyone else."

I sense that something is off. "Hold up guys, this isn't a competition." I shake my head in frustration. I was hoping to let this picnic be a relaxing break from all the frustration and responsibility looming over us but things seem to be veering off course. "I don't know what's wrong between you. You guys have been giving each other death glares ever since we started this picnic. If you want to fight, do it away from here, because I'm going to enjoy my break, unlike you two."

Nicholas looks taken aback and Chase looks guilty. They both apologize for their rude behavior and eat their food. We sit in silence which somehow feels worse than before and I sigh. "Spit it out, what's going on?"

"Nothing..." Chase mutters.

Nicholas pipes up. "We can work it out, fighting won't help either of us." He looks to Chase who nods begrudgingly.

"Good, you being on bad terms would be troublesome, especially if we run into danger." I explain. "Despite how cheesy it sounds, teamwork is important."

"Cheesy?" Nicholas tilts his head.

Chase seems used to me spouting nonsense so I just shrug. "Nevermind, just make sure things are okay between you."

They nod and I realize we have finished our food. We still have a bit of break time left and I look up to the sky, shielding my eyes from the sun.

"It's a great day to play tag, isn't it?" I mumble to myself.

"Tag?" Nicholas looks confused.

Maybe since he's a royal he's never played tag. I look to Chase who seems just as confused. "I'll teach you, okay?"

I explain the rules but Nicholas looks concerned. "Is it okay for a young lady to run around like this?" He questions. I guess young noble girls don't exactly run around or play games like this.

"It sounds fun." Chase smiles. "You don't have to play if you don't want Nicholas."

"Actually it works better with more people." I note.

Nicholas's confused expression changes to one of pride. "Yeah, it takes more people, therefore I should play."

We start off with me as the chaser and Nicholas and Chase running. It's easy to spot them in this big open field but hard to catch them. Hard but not impossible.

"Ouch!" I hit the ground hard, pretending as though I tripped on something. They immediately run over to me concerned.

"Are you alright Violet?" Nicholas reaches his hand out for me to grab.

"Perfectly fine." I grin mischievously as I take his hand. "Tag, you're it."

I turn and run, as does Chase and Nicholas stands there dumbfounded. He just stands there laughing as we get further away.

"Pft, I can't believe that worked," I laugh as I find myself standing a good ways away from the still laughing Nicholas.

"He's quite gullible." Chase points out.

"Well, I don't think so. He definitely has a good enough mind to lead a country. That's worth something. He just has a good heart." Chase is about to respond when we see Nicholas charging towards us. I shriek and run away as Chase, who has clearly underestimated Nicholas, gets tackled. I can't help but giggle as they both roll down the hill, both of them unable to get up. "Chase is the chaser!" I yell, before running back towards our picnic area.

Chase and Nicholas don't come after me, both determined to get the other back for tagging them. I roll my eyes and turn to the guards, who are watching the game stone faced. "Do you want to play? It's a lot of fun and there isn't any danger around here anyway." They all exchange glances and one mouths something to the others. Then they begin to take off their heavy armour. "Ooh, fun!" I say, bouncing up and down. Tag was always my favorite game when I was young. The rules were so simple and it was the only time I ever enjoyed running.

We play for another fifteen minutes, even the guards are smiling and out of breath. The one in charge, Dylan, calls across the open field that it's time to go back. I don't mind too much because I'm sweaty and out of breath. Chase and Nicholas start walking back to the carriage, both bumping into each other in a playful, yet competitive way. I stay back to help the guards clean up the picnic area.

"They act just like brothers," I chuckle.

Harry, the oldest of the three laughs too. "Oh yeah, back when they were young they were attached at the hip. Best friends, cutest darn kids you'd ever see. But Nicholas got busy with his studies and Chase's home life got... rough, so they grew apart. I'm so happy to see them together again." He smiles wistfully.

"Wow, so you knew them pretty well, huh? Back when they were little?"

"Yep. Back when I met them I was just out of guard training and stationed in their section. Most new recruits are stationed on the wall or in the children's wing."

I nod in understanding and look out at the trees.Today's turning out to be a pretty good day.