Chapter 10 - A Warriors Nightmare

Greyson kept to his word and visited me after my training sessions

Greyson kept to his word and visited me after my training sessions. No matter my shift patterns, I would never fail to see him outside the locker room ready to escort me on a walk of the grounds or to dinner. He would ask me how training went, I'd tell him of all the hits and strikes I got in. I had a feeling he was only asking to console the wolffish side of him that flared up at the sight of my daily injuries.

Black eyes, split lips, scratches up and down my back, splints on either wrists and his least favourite- stab wounds to the chest and thigh. He'd practically had a stroke when I walked out of those doors limping and covered in bandages that had blood already seeping through. Greyson held my hand unnecessarily tight that afternoon; whether it was out of restraining his anger or a need to know my heart was still beating I wasn't sure.

Today's injuries were claw marks on the neck, bite marks to the shoulder and a shallow stabbing wound from my opponent's claws to the ribs that had skimmed my lung. I found myself getting air caught in my chest as I left the training centre, pushing open the heavy door with my uninjured arm. Greyson stood there, a slight frown on his face as he furiously typed away on his phone. I saw his nose twitch as my scent reached him, he quickly looked up to give me a smile - a sweet gesture I'd become used to. He would give me this sweet smile and look me over - assessing how he felt about both himself seeing me in cycling shorts and a sports bra as well as his pack mates seeing his unmated female in cycling shorts and a sports bra.

"Good afternoon, little mate." Though there was a smile, it was stiff. His jaw was clenched and shoulders tense. "I see you fought in wolf form today." He was trying to be supportive and I appreciated it.

The first day he had seen my face busted up he'd grabbed my opponent by the throat and pinned him to a tree, almost knocking the poor wolf unconscious from lack of oxygen. I had barely managed to calm him down and had feared a hand on the shoulder and soft pleading wouldn't be enough, but eventually it was. After that I firmly requested he leave that part out of our daily walk. He complied, begrudgingly of course, but nevertheless he didn't attack any more pack members.

"Don't worry your little alpha head, I got in some good hits." He raised his eyebrow expectingly, clearly needing the reassurance I had done some damage - which was more than insulting - but I went along. "Broke her jaw, cut up her underbelly, tore out some muscle in her hind leg and shattered a front leg."

He let out a soft chuff with a real grin this time. "That's my girl." It was so casual that I almost missed it, but he didn't seem to pay any mind to the statement as he held his hand out for me. "I have somewhere to show you."

I smiled and stepped forward, only to hiss sharply as my ribs burned and my lung spasmed. My breath got caught and I heaved and wheezed for a moment. Heat travelled over my body, starting in my abdomen at the bottom of my ribs and spreading to my chest.

"What's wrong?" He rushed, placing his hands on me - one cupping my cheek and another on my waist. Greyson seemed to working on instinct now, fuelled by his desire to protect his mate. For a second, the sparks left me speechless as my head emptied itself of thoughts. The worry in his eyes intensified when I didn't reply and I couldn't help but worry what he'd do if I didn't respond.