thirty-three

This plan is risky, but if we time it just right we'll be fine.

It's the fateful day in which Alouette will enter the library, and she's terrified.

Harry went to his bedroom about ten minutes ago, which means she doesn't have a lot of time to make her way down the corridor and catch him just as he gets out.

Alouette stops right behind the corner, trying to calm down her quick heartbeat. She can't look like she just ran all the way here. After some moments she turns the corner and slowly, very slowly, walks into the corridor, hoping she'll get it right on the first try.

Thankfully, she does.

Harry steps out of his rooms, and she takes advantage of his distraction to make her way towards him quickly. By the time he closes the door, she's right in front of him. He's wearing a black overcoat, and Alouette tries her best to look surprised.

"Oh! You're leaving?"

He raises an eyebrow. "Does it disappoint you, Lark?" He turns around to type in his code, and Alouette takes one small step to the side so that she's standing right behind him.

She raises her head a little bit and glances over his shoulder while keeping a safe distance between them. "Maybe it does, a little bit," she replies so that he won't get suspicious. From her position she can easily see the code as he puts it in, but he can't notice she's looking since she's behind him.

3294715.

Alouette repeats it a few times in her mind, until she's sure she's memorised it. She takes a step back again, and he turns to look at her.

"Whatever it is, I'm afraid it'll have to wait," Harry tells her, walking down the corridor, and she goes after him. "I'm quite busy at the moment."

"I'll be waiting, then."

They turn the corner and she walks back to her desk as he makes his way to the lift.

She sits on her chair and rips away a little piece of paper and writes down the code before sneakily putting it into the pocket of her trousers. She'll make sure to get rid of it as soon as she doesn't need it anymore.

She checks the time. She has exactly twenty-five minutes before Nathan loops the cameras of the upper floor. He told her he's done it many times before to help the Revolution and that he won't have any trouble, but it terrifies her anyway. They have no means to communicate since phones are traceable, so they had to time their entire strategy around the clock. It seemed smart then, but now she's starting to regret it. What will happen if something goes wrong and they aren't able to let each other know? They'll both have to have faith in the other's ability not to get caught.

She finishes her tasks for a little while, and when the time comes she stands up. "I'm done for today, can I go? I'm a bit tired."

Evie nods without looking up. "Sure."

Alouette walks into the corridor and pretends to go towards the lift, keeping an eye on the time.

Half past four strikes and she turns around, making her way towards Harry's rooms. She walks fast but not fast enough for it to be noticeable.

She turns the corner and walks towards the door. She makes sure the corridor is clear and types in the code quickly. She holds her breath until it unlocks. She slides inside and closes it after herself.

Harry's rooms don't have cameras since he likes his privacy, and she can't help but be glad. At least she won't have to worry about Nathan's plan failing and her being recorded in the President's private rooms.