What Do You Mean?

<<Delilah>>
Ms. Potts and I stay in the medbay while Mr. Stark and Dr. Banner talk in the corner, and eventually move out into the hall. This is all happening so fast, I just don't know what to do.

"I can hear your gears turning from over here," Ms. Potts says. "What's going on?"

"I don't know," I say. "It's just a lot. I don't know what to do."

"That makes sense. It would be a lot for anyone. You don't have to go through this alone, though. We're all here for you."

"Thanks."

The doors open, revealing Mr. Stark and Dr. Banner again.

"Hey, kiddo," Mr. Stark says. "I've got some things I could use your help with in the lab. What to come?"

"Of course, Mr. Stark. Whatever you need."

"Nothing dangerous, please," Ms. Potts says with a sigh. "We don't need any more trips to Bruce."

We all smile, and I walk out with Mr. Stark. The bandages are itchy, but Dr. Banner told me to leave them alone as much as possible, and I don't want to make him, or anyone, mad.

We get into the lab, and Mr. Stark takes a bunch of things out of the closet. It's just a bunch of half finished projects. He spreads them out and steps back.

"So, this is what we've got," he says.

"What do you want to do with them?" I ask.

"I want to fix them. All of these were failed designs, and I don't know where I went wrong. I need you to look over my work and fix it."

"What?"

"You're smart, kid. You can do it."

"Mr. Stark, I don't think this is a good idea."

"Why not?"

"I don't know..."

"Delilah, what's going on?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Pepper said you were trying to leave earlier, and that's why you were by the elevators. Why were you leaving?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark. I just, um, don't think I belong here."

"Delilah, I chose you. Not the kid you sit next to in class. Not one of the kids you see in the halls. You. You're here because I want you here. The other avengers love having you here as well. Please, tell me how we can help you feel better."

What is happening? Why does he want me to stay so badly? Why does he want me? I've done nothing but mess up since I got here. Why is he being so nice? I don't deserve any of this. He shouldn't have to deal with me. I don't want to be a charity case or a burden for anyone. All of the Avengers have been so nice, but I don't deserve any of it.

"You okay, kid?"

"What?"

"You're zoning out on me. Is everything okay?"

"I'm sorry-"

"You don't need to apologize. What's on your mind?"

"I don't understand."

"What don't you understand?"

"Any of this. I keep messing up, but you don't get upset. I don't deserve to come back. I don't deserve anyone's kindness. Why is everyone still nice after I mess up so much?"

"Delilah, it's okay to make mistakes. I blow something up every other day, but no one gets mad at me. They kinda expect it now, but still. The biggest thing I care about is your safety. So long as you're safe, nothing else matters. No matter what happens, you will always be treated with kindness. If anyone doesn't, please let me know. If it's alright with you, I'd like to have a talk."