Chapter 18: A Friend

A Friend

~~~"Evalina," I hear a voice say and I open my eyes to see Natasha looking down at me, "We're here

~~~
"Evalina," I hear a voice say and I open my eyes to see Natasha looking down at me, "We're here."

"How did I get to laying on your lap? Not that I'm complaining," I ask as I sit up when I feel a wave of sickness.

"I woke up and just moved you," Natasha tells me with a smile and I nod.

"Alright, come on," Steve says getting out of he car.

I look at Natasha one last time before opening the car door. The soot covering her face along with some tiredness. I help her out of the car and I wrap my arm around her waist to steady her. Once I am holding her, I look around the neighborhood and watch as Steve walks ahead of us to a house.

Natasha and I follow behind him and Steve looks at us then our surroundings before knocking on the door. "Hey man," the guy says as he opens the door.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low," Steve tells him.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us."

Nice on being straightforward with him, Nat.

He looks at her then at me then looks at Steve. "Not everyone," he says moving aside and letting us in. Natasha and I walk in first with Steve following behind us.

"What's going on?" He asks as we walk into the living room.

Before anyone responds, I quickly let go of Natasha before finding my way to the bathroom that is in the guest room. I shut the door before kneeling in front of the toilet and emptying the contents from my body. "Evalina?" I hear Natasha's voice from the other side of the door, "Can I come in?"

"Yeah," I say with a raspy voice before leaning over the toilet again.

I hear the door open then shut again. Natasha's hands are then pulling my hair back and putting it up with a hair tie. "I got you," she says rubbing my back. Once I finish, I take a deep breath before standing up with shaky legs.

"Natasha," we hear on the other side of the door, "Sam said there are extra toothbrushes in the draw that Evalina could use." So that's what his name is.

"Thanks, Steve," Natasha says as she grabs one before handing it to me.

I brush my teeth before speaking a word to Nat. I look in the mirror and see her leaning against the door once I finish. "The last time I saw that happen to you was when you couldn't heal many years ago. What was that?" Natasha asks concerned.

I turn to face her and shrug. "I have no idea. Besides what just happened, I feel fine. I don't feel weak like I did. I think all of this is just getting to me," I tell her and I notice her eyes soften and she moves to stand in front of me.